What am I working on?

43 comments
I hope it isn't too late to be working on Christmas ornaments, decorations and gifts. Are you all ready for Christmas? Because I am not! Yet again I scramble. Some of my projects are my idea and some are things I've seen around blogs and etsy.
Vintage linen that has stains or holes is called "cutters". I have a few Christmas linens that I've been wanting to make into decorations. I washed a piece of this cutter tablecloth above. Then I stippled it (like it was a small quilt) with close curves and a red dot back. I washed it and dryed it again after it was quilted so it would crinkle up.
Then I used this template to trace stars all over the quilted table cloth. I cut them out with scissors and then I used my rippled edged rotary cutter blade to wave the edge of the star.
I cut the stars out fitting as many as I could from the quilted fabric without fussy cutting them. I want a more random look.
Then I stitched 1/4" from the edge of the stars. Now I still need to put a grommet in one of the points and string mini green rick rack so I can hang them. I have lots more to make so I'm waiting until I am done to put the grommet/holes in the star. I'll let you know how that works out.
I purchased this banner on Etsy from VintageHome. She has darling home decorations. I loved how she used cutter tablecloth fabric to make the banner. And after making Allison's banner I had an idea for making a Christmas banner using tablecloth fabric . . . and this gold cross stitch letter fabric from Holly Holderman of Lakehouse Fabric.
I started cutting out letters to spell NOEL and I thought I would center the letters in the middle of the banner with Christmas fabric/Christmas table cloth fabric flags on either side of the letters. I'm working on all that still. So I'll keep you posted.
Jane talked about a yo yo garland for the Christmas tree as a good idea. I really wanted to make one this year but it didn't get done. So I searched etsy for a yo yos and found them with YoYoCottage. I hate to admit my tree isn't up yet. But this garland will soon be hanging on my tree. Again, I'll update you on that when it gets done. (I've never been this late putting my tree up, just FYI)
I saw these pin cushion rings on a few blogs and fell in love with them. Etsy seller artnetshop makes them and sells them and I think she does a fabulous job. I purchased a few from her for gifts but really wanted to make some for myself. And so I did. The first couple didn't turn out so great but I kept at it and with the help of Shelbie and Mr. Hive I am really happy with the results. I think they are cute and very practical. I used wool and printed linen. They were fun to make.

Of course I wouldn't sell any of these items or compete with those etsy sellers. These things are for me or for gifts.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

43 comments

sallgood said...

Love all of your cute ideas! I especially like the cutter stars! So cute!!

Thimbleanna said...

Well, silly Nanette! Of course you're scrambling -- you've had a big, busy fall! Love all your fun projects!

Anna said...

Oh I love your stars and I think I have a cutter tablecloth that would be perfect for this project. Thanks for the idea.

Val said...

I love what you did with that tablecloth. I love all of your goodies too.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh I love what you did with the tablecloth!! As for my yo yo garland, guess it was ment for 2010!!!

Vicki said...

wow, it is all so gorgeous! I love the garland and the quilted ornaments. And the yo yos. And the pincushions. :)

Cathi said...

What a great idea to make stars from that tablecloth!!

Pat said...

you have the BEST ideas! My tree went up much later than usual, too...and I still have a mess of boxes here to deal with before I am "finished". SO behind on everything this year. *sigh*

Nedra said...

Guess who else doesn't have their tree up yet? (me!) Hopefully tomorrow is the day.
Your other decorations are so festive and cozy. Looking forward to seeing how they all turn out.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Looks like you are having lots of creative fun, Nanette!! This is the first year I haven't scrambled and that's only because I did all my decorating before Thanksgiving and my mom's surgery. I even have some of my Christmas cards mailed. Glory be! Can this be me?!!! LOL! I love the ideas of cutting up the tablecloth linens. Very clever. :-)

Joanna said...

CUTE stuff!

Dawn said...

You are soooo creative! I love what you did with the tablecloth! The stars are so stinkin' cute! I'm way behind this year too.

Browndirtcottage said...

OH THANK YOU NANETTE...It's so nice
of you to make that 'NOEL' banner
for me!! Ha

You have some pretty good crafty
gifts going on there!! I didn't make nuthin' for nobody this year!!

Janet said...

So where did you buy your time from?I'm sure they don't have that listed on Etsy.
I have an old table cloth like that and the kids think it's awful but I like the idea of recycling it a lot. Thanks for sharing what you did with it, brilliant.

Karen said...

....love all those great ideas! Love the cutter stars....i shall go to my thrift store today to find some xmas cutter table cloths. Excellent!

Betsy said...

Nanette, great ideas. I would have never thought of quilting a tablecloth . Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Nanette, Lots of great ideas, but I especially like the yo-yo garland! That will be so pretty on your tree, once it is up.

Diane said...

Cute stuff!!!

Lynn said...

Ok, for some time now I've been trying to figure out how to make a crinkly edge when I cut something and now it's all clear - a rotary cutter! What a clever why to save and enjoy old linens.

em's scrapbag said...

Fun, fun things happing at your house. The banners are fun and I just love the stars.

Darlene said...

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE! I'm coming to play with you. Are you having fun?

Mary Ann said...

Nanette, what great ideas!! Thanks for the inspiration!! I've been wanting one of those ripply rotaries for some time now...think I'll put it on my Santa list!!!
All the best!

Jennifer said...

I love the ideas! The cutter stars are my favorite.

Jennifer :)

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Hi Nannette! You have been soooo busy! I love all your vintage goodies. I do some serious drooling over vintage table clothes when I am antiquing. But I can never make myself buy them, they are so expensive. I think I will just have to start a collection one at a time.

Susan said...

Well, you're not lacking in the idea department, these are so cute. I know how busy you've been, being there myself with an autumn wedding and all, but there is always next year to get going early (I say that every year since 1976)...nothing changes.

Micki said...

Your stars are just lovely! I love all of your ideas!
Micki

Sherri said...

So many wonderful ideas...I can't wait to see everything finished!

Sherri said...

Oh...and I'm in the same tree situation...almost. Tree went up last night...lights tonight...but no decorations until the 19th after my college kids can all get together! My daughter up north does not want us to decorate the tree until she gets home!

Joy said...

What a great way to use that vintage tablecloth - oooh Nanette you're so clever ;o)!!I just LOVE the bunting, so festive and cheery!!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Julia said...

I love what you did with the tablecloth!
This christmas has crept up on us way to soon..
I'm sure be br ready in no time soon..
Julia ♥

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Good grief, Nanette!!! I'm tired out just from reading your blog. What a great big bunch of beautiful things you've done. I am SO impressed!

Kaaren said...

My goodness but you've been creatively bust, Nanette. What wonderful ideas you've shared with us.

Now I have a question. When do you sleep? (wink)

Momoo said...

So many neat ideas, so little time!
I really pick up a lot of new ideas reading your blog. My tree isn't up either and still have a lot of presents to sew. Good luck getting everything done.

Robin said...

Phew! That's a whole lotta craftin' going on! The star garland and the banner look like they will be super cute. And the yo-yo garland is just awesome! You are most certainly in the Christmas spirit!

It's also nice to hear that I'm not the only one who hasn't put up the tree. It's on the list for this weekend (along with lights and some festive decorating!). :)

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Those stars are a fabulous idea Nanette!! The little pin cushion rings are great, I bought one from her and use it a lot, so handy. Have fun making them, yours are looking gorgeous xo

Anonymous said...

Wow! So much fun! I love what you are doing with the stars! I have my tree up, but that's it! I guess time is just getting away from all of us!

Thanks for the inspiring projects, we love them!

Brenda said...

Loving what your doing at the moment.

Elizabeth said...

I love those star ornaments! I must be living under a rock because I haven't seen those pin cushion rings before - how cute!!

Marianne said...

I love Etsy!

Barbara said...

Your stars are going to look great! I love what Amy (vintage home) makes - her blog is really fun.

Carrie P. said...

Great idea for using the table cloth. All the other things are just fantastic too. So smart.

Gayle said...

I love these ideas! I collect vintage linens and I have some cutters. I may have to give a couple of these ideas a try. :-)Gayle

Corrie said...

It's all darling. I'm gearing up to start on Christmas projects for this year 2010! Happy New Year