Polly's Quilt

20 comments
More than a year ago I helped my sister Polly start a quilt.  She saw a quilt in a magazine that she liked and she wanted to make a similar quilt for her bed.  Polly hadn't appliqued before this project but she picked a great, simple design to learn needle turn applique.  Circles make such a great quilt. 
We used dinner plates for the template. Polly collected fat quarters that go with her bedroom colors and a neutral background.  I taught her a freezer paper method and she went to work.  I think it turned out fabulously.
The quilt is huge.  I forget the final dimensions but it is big enough to have a nice drop on the sides of her bed.  It is going to be so pretty in Polly and Ken's room.
There was an issue with the quilting and the quilter had it for months.  But the quilter fixed her problem and I really can't tell where the mistake occurred, thankfully.   I think the circle design is beautiful mixed with the appliqued circles.  The border is stunning and I love the deep rich golden color.
Polly and I have been so focused on getting the quilt to this point that we really hadn't discussed binding.  My sister lives in southern Utah and I had the quilting done close to where I live.  I picked up the quilt from the machine quilter and made a quick choice in binding fabric all on my own.  I hope she likes it.  It is brand new fabric out by BariJ called Vintage Fence.  Chevrons are great and I think it will be an interesting binding.  I cut the fabric strips and stitched the binding to the front of the quilt in preparation for Polly to pick it up when she is in town later this week.  Even though it is hot summer I think she will enjoy hand stitching the binding to finish up her beautiful new bed covering.  I am excited to see it on her bed the next time I visit.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

20 comments

trish said...

What a fun quilt! Gosh I just love those circles! Wish you could teach me how to do needle turn applique! :o) You did a great job in choosing the binding! It pulls it all together so beautifully.

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

This is such a pretty quilt!! My next quilt will be a circle appliquéd baby quilt. Can't wait to get started on it.

Dresden Quilter said...

It is so beautiful. I love the circles and the binding you chose.

Brandie said...

She did a great job, It's a lovely quilt!

Simone de Klerk said...

Oh my, love the quilt!!! And what a great idea to look for matching FQs to the bedroom. Perfect!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a beautiful quilt! How lucky she had you for a mentor!

AnnieO said...

Lots of charm mixed with the wow factor of the size of the circles and all the pretty fabrics. I agree, she'll enjoy this for years to come! Great quilt.

PamKittyMorning said...

Perfect binding! Love the quilt. And you're right, both with our circle quilts, pretty funny. Its our week!

Darlene said...

Oh, it's fabulous! I've been wanting to make a quilt like that for a long time and keep putting it on the back burner. It's going to look wonderful on their bed.

Perfect choice for the binding.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colours! Did your sister applique onto the background as squares or is it on to a whole quilt?
Thanks.
Carol
crlwilkie@aol.com

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- it's beautiful Nanette! I LOVE the big circles. And your binding choice is perfect. So fun that the two of you could work on the quilt together!

Browndirtcottage said...

She did a wonderful job! Very good for a first 'hand applique'!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a gorgeous quilt, and what a sweet sister you are to be such a help.

Nedra said...

Yeah Polly! Tell her I think she did a great job. (of course, under your tutelage how could she not?)

pratima said...

It truly is a labor of love! Your sister did a wonderful job for her first project in needle-turn appliqué. The colors are gorgeous! And the chevron pattern you picked for the binding will add more interest to the quilt! Great team work :)

Lisa said...

It is beautiful. I wish I hand the confidence to do all those circles. She should be very proud!

Barbara said...

In my mental list of quilts I'd like to make someday there's one with circles of fabric floating like bubbles on a background of white ... this one inspires me!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What an awesome quilt. I remember when you shared the beginning photos. Such a simple way to learn applique! That fabric will make a really interesting binding........just like you said! And how nice that you are binding it for her!

Lurline said...

Wow! Love that vintage fence - and others of course!
Hugs - Lurline.

Unknown said...

Polly can be so proud of her quilt! That binding is fabulous too.