Secret project using fabric made from selvages sewn together

8 comments




I am making some gifts with this "homemade fabric". I got the idea of using selvages in a project that Manda did at Tree Fall Design. She made pin cushions that are darling.


I have been thinking about the interesting selvages I have been throwing away and wondering what else could be done to use them. I decided that sewing them together and making new "fabric" out of it would make endless possibilities. You could make anything from quilt squares to something wearable. I think hotpads would be super cute. Maybe I'll try that when I'm done with this project. If I could get our dog Shadow to sew instead of sleep I'd be much further ahead with my hand made gifts. - nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

8 comments

Natalie said...

instead of a pet dog, you have a pet tribble! a pile of fur, how darling.

Whitney M said...

haha, there you go again natalie, showing your startrek side.
this pic is my new background on my work computer.

Shelbie said...

mine too! I love this picture! Shadow loves things quilted -- for some reason.

jen said...

at first glance, i thought shadow was a wig!

nanette -- your project is DARLING. what a fun idea to use those cute selvages!! you are too good.

michelle said...

When I first saw the pictue it looked like a black wig on your fabric

Rachel said...

I love the idea of using the selvedges! I love the way strips look when sewn together anyway, and that makes great use of otherwise unused fabric.

"t" said...

i had not been through your entire blog...i didn't know you made stuff out of selvedges! i can't remember where i got the idea, but someone made an adorable doll quilt for their little girl and posted a pic...have been saving mine ever since...=)

karenfae said...

I just found your blog and starting from the beginning to look through it as I wanted to know about the name of your blog and your mom. I have seen quilts made from the salvage, there was one at the Dallas Quilt show this year. It was a log cabin type of pattern I believe and really neat looking.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/