Fabric Friday Good Bye January

26 comments
As stated the other day, I'm glad to wave goodbye to January. So much is going on in February that I will be super busy. But it is all good stuff.
So, onto fabric. You know I love vintage, love kitchen fabric and I love novelty. This reproduction mid century kitchen print fits all of my loves. I found it at Sew Mama Sew. It is made in Japan.
I really like the colors and shapes and all the kitchen utensils. I like the offset of the print colors, scale, and the mix of food and flowers. I really like the open space in this one too.
Well, my daughter Natalie came into my sewing room last week and looked at it with interest. Then she said "What does that mean - HEAB?" I hadn't noticed that word printed on the fabric, yet. I laughed. This happens from time to time with Japanese print fabrics. They get it slightly wrong. But I sort of find that charming. She then said "I suppose them mean herb." I think she is right. I got a good laugh out of it.
I don't speak french so I'm not sure if there are mistakes in this Japanese kitchen fabric. I thought the scale was perfect for fussy cutting.
I like fabric with words written, even if they are unreadable. That cupcake is just so cute.
This Japanese print is a fussy cutter's dream. I can see use for nearly every square of this fabric.
Can't you just see a window in a little house with those lights hanging in the middle or that sewing machine inside a window.
The kettle, bird and cup are perfect for my Kettles in the Kitchen quilt that I'm teaching next month. I'm going to cut up squares to hand out to the ladies in my class for their kitchen windows.
I am going to use this floral in grandma's bedroom of my Little Red Riding Hood quilt.
This vintage fabric was given to me by Sandi. I am going to use this for the basket quilt I'll be making at the retreat in Bryce, Utah next month. Thanks Sandi.

FYI, I think I finally made a decision on the washer/dryer. Shelbie and I are off today to make the final choice. This has taken forever but we've been able to eek out loads here with the broken machine while I did research. It was funny. One time the washer stopped agitating mid cycle and Shelbie had to get a stick and stand there stirring the laundry before putting it into spin cycle. That was pretty much the final straw!

Have a good weekend all. Thanks always for your kind and thoughtful comments.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

26 comments

Rae Ann said...

I always love Fabric Fridays and the fun fabrics you show. The Japanese fabrics are so cute and I bet you're right about the word being Herb. My favorites are all the vintage ones though.
I am looking forward to seeing you at AQ retreat. It should be a real blast!!!

Anya said...

Cute fabrics...

In case you're interested, the "будьте добры, дайте кофе" with the three Russian nesting dolls means "kindly give me some coffee" and the "матрешка, матрешка, матрешка" means "matryoshka, matryoshka, matryoshka", which I'm sure you know if the Russian word for the familiar nesting doll.

Pat said...

Gee...sure...go ahead and make those of us who can't GET to your class feel even worse now to find out that each participant is getting a fussy-cut square from that adorable fabric. *sigh* I guess we just have to be green with envy. *double sigh*

Unknown said...

Such adorable fabrics and I love your ideas and uses. Wish I could follow right behind you in all your fabric ventures....well, I guess I am but I like hands on. Ha.

Joanna said...

That Japanese writing is so funny! I love it! And I really love the fabric too:) Congrats on the new washer/dryer - It's fun getting new things like that. I wish I was!

PamKittyMorning said...

Yeah once you have to agitate it with a stick its over. It most circumstances.

Love the floral with the strawberries. yum.

Susan said...

The black/grey with a hint of blue reminds me of the winter sky that should go with the passing of January. And the thought of self-agitating the washer is a step up from the good old days. Enjoy the new washer and dryer.

nettie said...

heab made me lol! i too think it adds to the charm.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Wow Nanette you are so busy, but you get so much done!!! I love your 'heab' fabric, how funny, but isn't it gorgeous? xo

Kaaren said...

Fun fabrics, Nanette and if anyone can do justice to them, it certainly would be you.

*karendianne. said...

Gosh I just love this. Perfect for the end of the day - winding down. You know what made me say "awww...so sweet!?" The fact that I just could very well indeed see a window in a little house with those lights hanging and that sewing machine in the window. I think if my windows were new one could see me and my machine. I sew by the Bay Window but alas the seal is cracked and I've made a conscious decision that fabric is more important. I'm a whole different "shabby" I guess... hee!

Little Lady Patchwork said...

I am also falling in love wi/Japanese fabrics! I am so trying to resist the urge to collect them.

Thimbleanna said...

Another great fabric Friday! I looooove that second fabric -- very cute!

Nedra said...

I'm glad you could figure out what heab meant. I would still be standing there scratching my head.
And the paneled fabric is sooooo YOU! Nesting dolls and all.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Oh, that fabric I sent will look great in Granny's bedroom. I saw the cutest Red Riding Hood vintage tea cup (no saucer) at the antique shop today. I picked it up and thought, oh, I should get that for Nanette. Then I saw the price tag and I had to set it back on the shelf. I was thinking of you, though. :-)

Sherri said...

Great fabrics...and yes, where did January go...I think I need it to be longer...or maybe I just need February to go slower!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Dittos on goodbye January! You are a magnet for the cutest fabrics. All of them are adorable!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

You've got some mighty nice fabrics there, and it's good to see uses for them right away.
I laughed at Shelbie having to wash the clothes with a stick. That's a thing you'll always remember.

Momoo said...

I was just like Natalie. I hadn't read your comment and just looked at the photo wondering what "heab" was. I bet your explanation is correct. Love the Japanese fabric with all the sections for fussy cutting, I can see you using every inch. Good luck with the new washer.

jacquie said...

ooooh, so much to love here. i'm really liking the one from sew mama sew. i might have to go see if it's still available. so fun to see the quilts from your meeting too...such a diverse group.

Vicki said...

happy weekend! the kitchen and word fabrics are so cute. hey, did you see that your spool of thread quilt blog post was linked on craftzine.com?

:)

Carrie P. said...

Just finished reading the posts I have missed. Love show and tell and your fabrics are always so fun.
Your red riding quilt is going to be so great. Can't wait to see it all done.

Jennifer said...

Those are great fabrics with great colors. Can't wait to see what you do with them!

Jennifer :)

Lori Holt said...

HEAB....too funny! As you know,I'm partial to kitchen prints too!
Those are great finds.
Sounds like it might be time to get out the old washboard!..lol

Dresden Quilter said...

What gorgeous fabrics! The people taking your class are very lucky!

sewtakeahike said...

lol Nanette! I just got some of the "heab" fabric from SMS and did a google search for "what does heab mean?" and this post popped up on the first page of the google search. I love the fabric and I think you're right, it was supposed to be "herb". We must be fabric sistas!