Fabric Friday - Quilter's Linen and Sale Fabric

6 comments
I'm not a very modern quilter but I like a modern edge sometimes. I am really drawn to quilts around blogs that use a linen-look fabric as a plain color choice in sashing. But finding that perfect linen blend or cotton look linen is really tough. I'm just not finding exactly what I'm looking for.
Recently I purchased this Free Spirit Quilters Linen. At 54" wide it is a pretty good value and it comes in some pretty interesting colors. I purchased the gray above. But it really looks more tan with a undertone of green. Hmm. Not exactly what I thought it would look like. And I left in the wrinkles so you can see that a downside of a linen blend is that it wrinkles. The nice part about a quilter's linen is the weight is more like you'd find with a quilt grade cotton - not so thick.
I also recently purchased small quantities of sale fabric. Shops both online and in town are cutting prices to get ready for fall fabrics and Quilt Market is just around the corner, too. Above is a cute little yellow with blue flowers.
These two fabrics above are wallpaper prints from Peacock Lane. I really like them. I took the photos of the sale fabric against the gray quilter's linen. I like how it looks.
I took this photo of 2 of my finished mosaic blocks against the quilter's linen. I think it really looks great with the green in the Denyse fabric. And in fact, a true gray color wouldn't work as well, I think. So for today, I think I just might use this quilter's linen as sashing for the new mosaic quilt. We'll see for sure as things progress.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

6 comments

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Love that little yellow and blue floral. I always wanted to make a yellow and blue quilt and this would be great for borders in that quilt. LOL! You find the neatest fabrics! Have a good weekend! I am so happy that fall is just around the corner.

Thimbleanna said...

I can't wait to see this quilt as it develops Nanette. As you know, I LOVE those blocks!!!

Lurline said...

Naughty Nanette - you have made me go and buy some MORE fabrics, lol!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Sherri said...

I love your blocks...wish I could find some perfect gray quilter's linen too!

Wish I could come sew with you all in a couple of weeks...but my work schedule just won't allow it right now. I'm going to have to plan a weekend trip up there...because I'm seriously missing the shops and especially the quilters!!!

pratima said...

Cute floral, Nanette! I haven't seen these wallpaper prints before. Beautiful colors and visually striking. I'll be waiting to see what you'll opt for the background of these mosaic blocks. Hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend!

busyascanbe said...

Looking Good! Can't wait to see the finished quilt!
Debbie