Mosaic Squares

24 comments
I really like the simplicity of patchwork squares. It is a theme in many of my quilts. And I think this is a good example of simple squares making up a pleasing design.

Four years ago I spent a great deal of time making this quilt for our king sized bed. When I saw this pattern in Vintage Quilts Spring 2004 (Mosaic Tiles quilt) I knew I had to make it. It was a huge undertaking because each of the groups of mosaic squares in the quilt are different. I wanted to make it as close to the pattern/picture as possible using similar colors and patterns. I purchased fat quarters mostly in plaid, stripes and dots. I used a few flowery prints as I ran out of the stripes and checks and needed some variation. It was impossible to duplicate the fabric in the quilt with what was available to me at that time but I tried to stay as true to the theme of the original as possible.
If I had the time I would make this quilt again I loved making it so much, but its huge. I do think I'd like to make a twin bed size at some point, however.


This quilt is in my top 10 of the quilts I have made that I (still) love. It was kind of like making many little individual quilts as I built each mosaic.

Chelsey helped me lay each group of squares out on the floor and we moved them around to make a pattern that I was happy with.


Then last year I decided to make a baby version using a jelly roll my friend Flora gave me along with some other fabrics. Don't you love those jelly rolls? They are great. Thanks again Flora.


I tend to make a lot of baby quilts but you can never have enough of those. Babies and moms need fun quilts.

-nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

24 comments

Purple and Paisley said...

oh my gosh - i just love the quilts! i bet it was fun...like making a bunch of individual quilts...beautiful...

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Nanette! You never fail to inspire! I just love this quilt too -- well, both of them. Thanks so much for sharing!

Joanna said...

I think I like your version better than the original! And what a good idea to make a baby quilt with the pattern. Beautiful.

Robin said...

What a lovely quilt! I can see why you love it so much. :) Thanks for sharing its story.

Oiyi said...

So gorgeous! You are so inspirational. I love looking at your quilts.

Eileen said...

This is really a wonderful pattern. Your quilt is beautiful. A good way to use vintage sqaure patches too.. I suppose one could make it any size.
Twins are my favorites to make.. for me they are actually "doable"!
Your jelly roll baby quilt is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! You cannot overestimate the beauty of a simple square - that is so beautiful. Each different block has such a story with the colours, light and shade. How lovely this will make you feel!

erica e said...

this is so fun! i can see why you would have this be in your top 10 most loved quilts! and i think i'll just have to add this to my 'must make' quilts list.

Cathi said...

Wow, I love that quilt! There's something so satisfying about using simple squares -- they really do lend themselves to a lot, depending on what colours you use.

Joanna said...

I love the colors you used in both quilts. They are both beautiful!

Karen said...

Oh Nanette, what a beautiful quilt and a wonderful keepsake. I love the simplicity of squares too. The pattern worked out perfect for the baby quilt too.
Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheryl said...

That is a great quilt pattern. I see why you love it so much. What a great idea to make a baby quilt with a jelly roll!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Beautiful. I made a king size quilt, once. Quite a feat, but satisfying when complete! One can never have too many baby quilts lying around. They're fun to make, quick, and ready when needed.

Darlene said...

I love your style! Adorable quilts, Nanette!

Kim Walus said...

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
I know how much time it took to make your quilt with all of the gazillion squares! It's much like the postage stamp quilt that Natalie made using 1.5" cut squares. What size were your squares?

Jodi Nelson said...

Nanette, LOVE LOVE LOVE those quilts. Especially the King Size one. Um Especially the Baby size one. LOL. Beautiful! The king size; the colors just wow me! Thanks for sharing.

*karendianne. said...

Cathi of Quilt Obsession share this with me as I'm working on little patches sort of like this. WOW! I'm so amazed. I'm so glad I stopped by!!!!!

Totally inspired. *karendianne.

Anonymous said...

I so agree about simple squares making up a pleasing design. What a wonderful quilt, and great idea about the jelly rolls too!

Ginger Patches said...

I love that quilt! I love simple patchwork too. I wish I had that pattern it's really beautiful!! I love it in the baby version too.

Rima said...

So beautiful! You always do such a good job.

May Kristin said...

Wow! These quilts are gorgeous!
What a shame I'm done with having babies...! LOL

Anonymous said...

that quilt is gorgeous!

Dionne said...

Those quilts are gorgeous! I wanted to comment on them sep. from your contest ~ I love mosaic quilts and yours are stunning! You must really enjoy that large king size!
Cheers,
Dionne

Unknown said...

my explanation j6b53w6f42 louis vuitton fake replica bags los angeles g2m43j5l83 he has a good point m5m78f9y77 Ysl replica replica bags australia zeal replica bags reviews replica hermes bags o9u86j3z66 replica bags paypal