Mosaic Squares

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I really like the simplicity of patchwork squares. It is a theme in many of my quilts. And I think this is a good example of simple squares making up a pleasing design.

Four years ago I spent a great deal of time making this quilt for our king sized bed. When I saw this pattern in Vintage Quilts Spring 2004 (Mosaic Tiles quilt) I knew I had to make it. It was a huge undertaking because each of the groups of mosaic squares in the quilt are different. I wanted to make it as close to the pattern/picture as possible using similar colors and patterns. I purchased fat quarters mostly in plaid, stripes and dots. I used a few flowery prints as I ran out of the stripes and checks and needed some variation. It was impossible to duplicate the fabric in the quilt with what was available to me at that time but I tried to stay as true to the theme of the original as possible.
If I had the time I would make this quilt again I loved making it so much, but its huge. I do think I'd like to make a twin bed size at some point, however.


This quilt is in my top 10 of the quilts I have made that I (still) love. It was kind of like making many little individual quilts as I built each mosaic.

Chelsey helped me lay each group of squares out on the floor and we moved them around to make a pattern that I was happy with.


Then last year I decided to make a baby version using a jelly roll my friend Flora gave me along with some other fabrics. Don't you love those jelly rolls? They are great. Thanks again Flora.


I tend to make a lot of baby quilts but you can never have enough of those. Babies and moms need fun quilts.

-nanette

You Might Also Like

24 comments

Popular Posts