I had this thick cotton kitchen toweling yardage from a couple years ago that has stripes down the side and a finished edge on the sides. I cut it up into 4 pieces for 4 kitchen towels and then sewed cheater applique from my teapot/teacup fabric shown above. I just cut it out carefully leaving 1/8" around the teacups/teapots.
I just used a blanket stitch on my machine. No fusible for me thank you - especially for towels. I won't vouch for how much washing they will stand but I'm giving them away so as long as they look pretty, I'm okay. I used my used dryer sheets to stabilize the back while I appliqued and then tore it away when stitching was complete. I really love that technique - thank you again Bonnie Myles.
I finished the raw ends with the same fabric. I sewed, pressed, turned and stitched in the ditch. They worked up pretty easy and somewhat quickly but I've run out of toweling now so I'll be back to the linen/cotton blend prints that I was working on before. I like them, too.
I'm also making pot holders. I did use the special batting with reflective heat properties called Insul-Brite. I blogged about it here before. Not that I'm encouraging anyone to actually touch food or a hot dishes to my hot pads (that take so much time to make.) This one didn't turn out so great I think. There is too much going on. The background fabric blends into the house and it is hard to notice where the house ends and the leaves begin. Oh well. If I had it to do again I'd blanket stitch around the house and roof parts too, to give add definition.
Back to cranking out gifts. It was fun to sew and listen/watch the Eagles win last night. Go Eagles. Sorry I'm not around visiting much these days but Santa is coming!