Snow White Accessories

20 comments

A few months ago, I was browsing at Anthropologie and came upon the cutest scarf. It was a long, white scarf crocheted into a spiral. It was so light and fluffy, it looked almost more like a feather boa, or a fur stole. I loved the decadent look of the scarf, so I decided to make a similar one for myself.

I have had in my stash of yarn about 8 oz of a very soft wool lace-weight yarn from Habu Textiles. I had purchased it much earlier this year on sale from Purl.
I don't crochet nearly as fast as I knit - so this has been in my work-in-progress pile for nearly a month, being worked whenever I got a chance - but I love the end results. I love the unusual nature. I sometimes had it at work with me to work on - and I had one co-worker who kept remarking on the color. He kept on telling me I should do the colors so that it looked tie-dyed. I don't know about that - but I like the end results.In line with the decadent result of this scarf - I wanted to make an equally luxurious bracelet.


For this project, I was inspired by the cover of Vogue Knitting - which features a girl whose arms are covered in beautifully knitted bangles. Inside the issue - there are instructions telling how to make each of the bangles you see this girl wearing.

I was mesmerized by this idea - and decided to make a bracelet as a gift. To ensure that my gift would be seen as being fashionably current - and as a nice, handmade item - I used a white silk yarn, and a little bit of yarn with some sparkle (only on the outside - I find those sparkly yarns itchy)

I'm really happy with the end result. Not only is the bracelet pretty to look at, but it feels great against your skin!

Well, good luck to everyone with their last minute projects, I know I still have a lot to finish-

Shelbie
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

20 comments

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

wow, I wish I could walk into a store, like something and then go home and make it! I love them both, the scarf looks so soft and pretty. and the bracelet is really cute!

Dionne said...

Wow, I love your scarf! You should put a few on Etsy! Or at least the pattern. Your results are beautiful!
Cheers,
Dionne

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scarf and bracelet.. I'd never thought of making either of them like that.. so cute and very one of a kind.

Unknown said...

Both are exquisite examples of your obvious creativity. Any person who gets these as gifts should be thrilled. I knowI would be.

Yes...put up the directions for the scarf please!!!!

Marlene

PamKittyMorning said...

Love the scarf. I knit a similar one, called a potato chip scarf. Very fun, nice work.

Unknown said...

So pretty! I would love to give something like this a try :)

Abby and Stephanie said...

I saw that scarf just Friday at Anthropologie! What a gorgeous job you did. Such talent you have.

Saska said...

Is there a pattern for this scarf? CUTE!

Candace said...

Shelbie, you're SO talented - the scarf is fantastic, and the bracelet adorable!
Cheers!

Unknown said...

The scarf and the bracelet are terrific. The scarf is so unique! Love it!

Shari said...

The scarf is so interesting and quirky - good to wear to a party as it will guarantee lots of conversation! Not sure about the bracelet, but probably good for special occasions (bracelets get in my way at work so I don't wear them so my opinion totally doesn't count!!)
Hope you and all your family have a fun Christmas filled with laughter and joy...
Hugs Shari

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the scarf in the white - tie dyed wouldn't go with as many things now would it - you were right to go with the white.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Material Girls said...

Shelbie,
You are talented just like your mom. Maybe you could teach my Shelby how to do that (she has been on me to take crochet lessons)
Very cute!!
Nadine

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

That scarf is really neat and it looks great on you!! So does the bracelet. Very stylish, Shelbie. Nice work!!!!

Cheryl said...

Shelbie, I am always amazed at your creatons. Each is so pretty. What great gifts!!

Kritta22 said...

WOW! You are amazing!! Just amazing!

pratima said...

Lovely scarf! The details on the bracelet are beautiful :)

Ginger Patches said...

I love the scarf...adorable!!!!

Amanda Jean said...

i LOVE the scarf!!!! nice job!

Aim said...

That scarf ROCKS!!! Looks totally beautiful in that color, and with the lacy pattern stitch. You did a great job :)