My Really Bad Pebble Quilting and UFOs Used

40 comments
Before we talk about my terrible version of pebble quilting I'll show a finish and a final placement.
These little birdies started out as an orphan block that matched nothing. Previously I showed progress of transforming the block into a little square table topper. It finally got it bound and placed in my family room on a little green tray that sits on an end table. No one is supposed to eat/drink in our family room (like they listen) so this is something just in case a drink spills. I like finishing "lost" projects. It gives me great satisfaction to feel like I have tied off a loose end.
This is the 7+ foot long table runner I made during the summer out of cottages and vintage fabric. I have been afraid to use it because of the spill/food issue with putting it on my very busy kitchen table. But then I told myself "what are you waiting for? this will wash up fine (I hope) when it gets dirty!" Well, my new son-in-law broke it in with chili recently. And it washed up great. I really like the spot of color and texture on my 9' table. It fits the table perfectly and maybe it will induce my family to clean up after themselves and not leave dishes on the table. Nah, at least not my 14 year-old son!
On to the pebble quilting. I had more orphan blocks and wanted to make another table runner. (Me and my issue of not being able to stop making houses.) After the hours it took to quilt the table runner with cottages on my kitchen table above, I wanted to do something different and quicker when I quilted this one.
Jodi of Simple Home Blog featured Handmade by Allissa a couple weeks ago. Reading Alissa's blog is what caught me onto Pebble Quilting. And she even has a tutorial about it. How nice of her!
So I watched the video clip a few times and wanted to try it. I have to say it was fun. I mean REALLY fun. It was a good change from using my walking foot, straight line quilting and stippling. I have a long way to go as my technique of pebbling is super messy and instead of going around 2 times I went around 3 times for some (makes it way too busy) and my pebbles are not uniform in size. But for my first try I will say even with the tons of room for improvement, I like the effect of the pebbles. I want to do it again and I will.
At a distance on my china hutch the quilting doesn't look all that bad. I love when my china hutch is all dusted and straight.

So you can see in between doing wedding stuff I had been slightly productive with a few other projects. I just didn't have time to show them before the wedding

One more thing. I want to introduce you to my friend Rae Ann and her new blog Cutie Pinwheel. Rae Ann is in my my Alpine Quilt Group and is also a friend of Kim and Lori, too. I've shown lots of her quilts on my blog over time. And Rae Ann is having a giveaway right now. Go over and say hi and enter. Get to know her, she's amazing.

I'm trying to catch up people. Seems to be the theme of my life!

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

40 comments

Thimbleanna said...

Ha! You're alive! Glad you checked in. I think your pebble quilting looks great! I have table runners that I use and wash a lot -- they seem to handle it wonderfully. I'll bet you'll love having your big table runner on your table!

beth said...

i'm very inspired to make one of those table runners now...aaah! too many things to make!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

It seems all families are the same. I had to teach my SIL, that we do not put our plates of food or drinks on the table topper. He learned, now if I can just get the rest of them to listen!! But for some lucky reason, they wash up like a dream and you are right, these are things we need to use. I love the birdie topper; it is so fun to turn a lost block into something nice and fun! And I think you already know how much I adore your houses.
Now, I need to go and see what this "pebble quilting" is all about! yours looks great, wonder if it could be done by hand!!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh, and I need to visit your friend's blog!!!

Nedra said...

Since I have been in your kitchen I can now picture exactly where you have placed these new decorations. Looks lovely.

Ariane said...

I love your two house table runners. They are beautiful. That little bird placemat is gorgeous. I just love it. Thanks for sharing.

Rae Ann said...

Thanks Nanette for posting a link over to my blog. You're such a
sweetheart! Several of your wonderful friends have already stopped in. FUN!!!
I simply love anything you make, especially if it has to do with your cottage pattern. The table runners are adorable! That is on my to do list for this next month! I love your pebble quilting. It looks great!

Betsy said...

Nanette you know that I just love your house runner. In real life pebbles are not supposed to be uniform so you did right by not making them uniform.
By the way Lily loved the dresses quilt I gave her for her birthday so much that she called me 2 times!

Dresden Quilter said...

As you know I love all of your cottages and the pebbling is great. I love your idea for orphan blocks.

Rhondi said...

Hi Nanette
You are one busy girl. I think you made great use of some leftover blocks. I like the pebble quilting. I have seen people make the pebbles different sizes purposely. That's what I do. Takes the pressure off trying to have them all the same size!
Hugs, Rhondi

Patty said...

I am always so inspired by your work! The orphan birds are just too cute!

Micki said...

I love the table runners, esp. for the houses. Just lovely!
Micki

MichelleB said...

Such cute things! Love that runner and I love that little bird placemat - I might have to try something similar (hope you don't mind). I really enjoyed doing the pebble quilting - I found that I could really get in the quilting groove. My pebbles weren't all the same size, but I did it that way on purpose - because pebbles aren't the same size in real life.

Jan said...

Whow, I can't believe you managed to get so much done w/the wedding!!! I adore the placemat and the TR's ... great job, including that adorable "pebble quilting!"

Kaaren said...

Your pebble quilting looks fine to me, Nanette. I don't know when you found the time to accomplish all this but I know I'd find it hard to keep up with you.

Your table runners look amazing where they are.

Dawn said...

It all looks great. Love your houses!! The birdies are darling. I'm going to try pebble quilting.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Cute, cute runners and I love the pebble quilting too!!

Sherri said...

I love the runners and the pebble quilting! I think you've inspired me to try it...it's just soo cute!

Cathi said...

Your runners look wonderful to me. The pebble quilting looks just fine to me!

Phyllis said...

I really like your runner - the design and colors are so cheerful. And what do you thin is wrong with your pebble quilting??? It looks really good to me. I think I'm brave enough to give it a try too! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Unknown said...

Nanette, Everything you made is just wonderful! And I know that getting food on the quilt for the first time is a bummer, but after that you get used to it. Just a wash to clean it! Your pebble quilting is fabo!

Rumi said...

Love your runner! I understand how you hate to "mess up" pretty objects but how nice to able to enjoy them on a daily basis as opposed to hiding them away in a closet somewhere.

Live Well With Judi said...

Nanette: As you know, my computer blew up so I have to wait to borrow one from one of the kids or hubby and I don't get to visit all the blogs I want to. I am so delighted you shared the wedding and all those photos. It turned out so lovely and you're right the bride was beautiful! I also love your pebble quilting and want to try that myself. You did a great job and certainly made it look easy. Hugs,

Mimi Sue said...

Love your little houses too. I'm trying to get brave enough to try a Thanksgiving table runner. Loved all the pictures of the wedding. You have some good looking kids. Mimi

Mel said...

I can't help but think of the poor son-in-law when he realized he spilled chili on your runner!

Also, some of your pebbles are 'too busy'??! Nanette, you are the queen of busy! You make it effortlessly work every time!!

Hope you are able to breath easier now that wedding plans are done!

m said...

ooooh your table runner is adorable !!

em's scrapbag said...

I think your quilting looks great. And I love all your quilty houses. The little birds are cute also. Thanks for the link on the pebble quilting.

Jona Giammalva said...

Oh my gosh, it's darling! What a treasure (I'm glad you didn't harm your son-in-law)!

jacquie said...

love your runners! i tried pebble quilting for the first time the other day too...it is FUN! i have a long way to go too. i was reading in one of my books that sometimes this author goes around 6 to 8 times depending on the texture she wants to create. i went around 3 times a bunch too..i do love the look.

Lurline said...

Love your runners and the pebble quilting is just great!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Cathy M said...

Hey Nannette, I saw some of your "all dressed up" patterns being sold at a booth at Quilt Festival. Way to get around.

Carrie P. said...

All your work is so great. You did a great job on the quilting. If you haven't been to 365 Days of Free Motion Quilting Filler Designs blog yet you should check it out. Pretty neat.
http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

Pat said...

I really like the pebble quilting and will have to try it sometime soon. I signed on as a follower of RaeAnn's blog right after she started it and Kim spread the word. Rae Ann fits very nicely into the Blogland neighborhood, I think!!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Very pretty and the pebbles are great! Hope your are recovering from last weekend:)

Martha said...

I think the pebbles look great. Can't wait to try that.

Lisa said...

Your quilting looks great! cute tablerunner too!

pratima said...

The little birdies make a really cute topper. Pebble quilting is looking great on the houses. It reminds me of lovely stone houses :)
The botanical leaves and flowers on the border are so charming!!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I feel like I am always trying to catch up. Janice, owner of Firefly Quilt shop where I'm teaching next week, offered this advice.......you never get caught up! And you know, she was right and the way she said it made me think that instead of trying to get "caught up", I am just going to keep moving forward and leave it at that!! All your runners are lovely! I especially like the little mat in the green tray. :-)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

What cute projects! I really like the houses. :-)

Browndirtcottage said...

I love your table runner AND your pebble quilting. Isn't that funny how each of us interpret differently...I only went around once on my pebbles....I practiced doing more but when I sat to actually do it...they just kind of took over and only went around once. Your runner looks Fab on your red table top!!