Wedding Quilts

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Wedding week. It will all be over before we know it. I keep telling myself: "Try to enjoy". Thank heaven for the post ahead feature because my posts this week are all going to be made ahead.
Here are the 2 wedding quilts done!!! Yay. My quilt for Natalie and Justin is the Bethlehem Star or Lone Star on the left. I think it is stunning. Natalie's quilt she made for her and Justin is the Cactus quilt on the left and I love it.
Normally Natalie would post her own quilt but at this rate we are just getting things done. Natalie had the idea for this quilt when she and Justin went on a trip to Arizona. Natalie loves rocks and the dry desert landscape. The spring cacti really spoke to her.
Natalie loves plains and the cactus in print against the colored plain backgrounds is beautiful and adds texture. All the cacti are hand appliqued.
She wanted it quilted very geometrically. I was skeptical but I admit the quilting finishes off the whole idea perfectly. I love the quilt and she's very happy with it. So is Justin.
I finished the star quilt a few weeks ago but it is huge (100x100) so it took forever to bind. I really like how it turned out. I cut my strips 3" and strip pieced the quilt but made so many color mistakes in putting it together that I got very acquainted with my seam ripper. I'm pretty happy with my points. And I do love the scrappy yet planned nature of the overall star.
Lori Holt helped me pick out the fabrics for the background and borders. We had so much fun deciding and changing our minds. Shopping with Lori is great. The chicken wire gives it that ranch/cowboy look. Thanks so much Lori. The colors are off a little on the photo but it rained yesterday so it was hard to get a good photo in the light.
I'm glad the soon-to-be newlyweds like their new quilt. I almost want to make me one now! We're going to use both wedding quilts (along with other quilts) to decorate at the wedding. It should be fun.

Pray for good weather as we count down to Saturday.

-nanette

You Might Also Like

79 comments

Popular Posts