For a few years now I had been noticing butterfly quilts sewn in several variations in some of my Japanese quilting books, but was a bit daunted by the block construction methods shown there. So when Amy's tutorial popped up on my Google reader and I started seeing friends showing their butterflies on blogs, I became more curious about them and somewhat jealous. However, at that time I was working on deadlines, and couldn't spare time to begin my own quilt.
After completing my market obligations I began making butterflies using Amy's tutorial as almost as a reward. I found the blocks incredibly fun to make and decided on my red/pink, blue, white and black color theme. My blocks are very scrappy and not more than 2 of each print fabric is used. My new method of storing my stash made the choosing of fabric so simple and fun.
I have always loved hounds tooth ever since 1st grade when I wore my green and white hounds tooth wool outfit for school picture day. The black and white hounds tooth seemed perfect to balance out the black background for the butterflies.
Now my "just for fun" quilt is all completed, sewn, quilted and bound. I really like it. I am a bit sad to finish it. I've listed it as a project I would like to teach at a retreat. I just think it would be a very fun quilt to sew in a classroom while enjoying time with other quilters.