Personal Flag Quilt - Slovakian Flag

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

To recap I've been working on my own Personal Flag Quilt to represent the heritage from my ancestors. You can read my previous posts here, here and here.
Here is another look at Amy's Quilt. She inspired me to picture my own quilt based on her ideas and creativity. Thanks again Amy.
So last weekend I worked on my last block, the Slovakian Flag block. The Slovakian flag is a relatively modern flag given the push and pull of governments in the history of the Slovakian territory in Europe.
When my grandparents came to the United States from Slovakia it was called Austria-Hungary at the end of the 1800s. I believe the political upheaval their homeland was subjected to had a huge part in my grandparents reason for leaving their families and country. I consulted my sisters about which of the several flags, that have flown in Bela nad Cirochuou, (the city of my grandparents origin) would be the best for my quilt and they agreed with me that this modern flag would quilt the prettiest and would be the most authentic since Slovakia is now recognized as its own country.

Now I'm really looking forward to joining my flags together to make a quilt. So I'm dreaming of different ways to position my blocks and create one cohesive quilt top.

-nanette

You Might Also Like

19 comments

Popular Posts