Crow Creek Ranch

34 comments
Last week we spent our vacation in Wyoming in beautiful Star Valley at my sister's family ranch.
It is an over 800 acre working ranch. The weather was wonderful and it was so fun to be around family for the week.
One of the major attractions for my family is the private lake.
This year we brought a peddle boat with us for the kids to play around in. They had a fantastic time with it in the water. Jamie probably loved the boat the most. Mason fished from the bank and in the boat.
We all eat together in the "cook house" My nieces are doing dishes while Jamie is figuring out what was for dinner.
This is the boot collection (obviously) where city folk can borrow boots for horse rides or just for fun. The little kids especially love to pick out boots to use.
Speaking of kids, we had little Allison with us last week. Mason helped her jump on the trampoline and she loved it.
Usually my sisters and I do some kind of sewing or craft while we are together at the ranch. This year I ordered hexagons from Jackie of Canton Village Quilt Works. Jackie did such a great job with them using her Go Cutter. In fact she's having a giveaway on her blog right now for a Go Cutter. You can enter here.
I printed off Lori's hexagon tutorial here.
I had her cut a tan/linen color and 30's fabrics. They were so fun to play with.
These are my sister Michelle's hexagons.
Here is Michelle showing our other project. Michelle wanted to learn more about machine quilting. So Saturday we took out her machine and went to work on some orphan blocks. I think making pot holders is the best way to learn to machine quilt.
This is my sister Paula and her hexagon and hot pads.
And this is my sister Teri and her hexagon and hot pad. They are all ready for the girls to hand stitch the binding now. We used the heat resistant batting, too.

So that's the highlight of our trip to Wyoming. I hate to admit I haven't finished unpacking yet. The cold/flu stopped me in my tracks. Hopefully by next week I'll have made some progress with my projects and feeling back to myself so I can post and respond to email and make blog visits. Thanks for all your kind wishes and support. My blog friends are the best.

-nanette
P.S. This is my favorite Allison pic of the week.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

34 comments

Nedra said...

I didn't realize the ranch was that large. How fun! And the projects with the ladies look wonderful too. I have one of those potholders from you, and I think fondly of our times together everytime I look at it.
Your grand daughter is getting so big. Love the tutu!

Darlene said...

Feel better, Nanette - I'm sorry you've been ill.

A fun week with family! Miss Allison is sweet.

Patti said...

What wonderful memories I have of my summers in Crow Creek! I loved the cook shack and the big walk in freezer and of course the lake!! Your sister Michelle is married to my cousin Brent!! She's the best!! Thanks for the post, brought back so many memories of my childhood!! I'm going to have to make a trip to Hiko and quilt with Michelle. Yeah!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What a beautiful setting for family and fun, glad you got the cold when you got home and it did not ruin all your fun. I bet Mason is just nuts over Allison!!
Feel better soon!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, it looks like so much fun and it sounds like everyone had a wonderful time. We have to miss my family reunion next week due to our move, but family reunions are the best! I'm so sorry you caught a cold - hope you feel better soon!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, Nanette, that looks like such a wonderful vacation. And how fun to have so much family around. But, my favorite part of any trip is coming back to my own little home. Hope you're much better soon!

Lynn said...

What a terrific vacation that looks like: family, beautiful scenery, sewing - just perfect. Cute picture of Allison. Will the Allison picture of the week be a new feature on your blog?

Annette said...

Your hexie idea is super. I will remember that. What a wonderful place to gather. So beautiful!

maria said...

Those hot pads look really cool.
Maria

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time together. Loved the goodbye pic of Allison at the end. :-) Hope you are feeling more chipper. Summer colds are not fun.

Lori Holt said...

Hi Nanette,
How beautiful it is there! The private lake is fantastic....and the cook house...and the boots!
I had to giggle when I saw that photo...it brought back memories from my childhood! (lots of kids on a farm meant lots of cowboy boots)
The kits and hexies and hotpads are wonderful and thank you for linking to my tutorial. You are a sweetie.
And of course Allison is a cutie patootie!
xx
lori

Unknown said...

What a wonderful place to vacation and how fun with the whole family!! Looks as if you had great weather too. So glad the hexies were a hit! That little Allison is just a cutie! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Sinta Renee said...

Thanks for the wonderful photos of your trip! What a great ranch! My husband would move us there in a heartbeat if he could! Fun projects- I love your hex's & the potholders/I can see your wonderful influence:)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Allison is adorable! And so cute on the trampoline!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful place and you still found time to sew....good job. Allison is so cute!

Vicki said...

looks like so much fun!
I love the projects you guys worked on.

Caro said...

What an awesome vacation in God's Country. Thanks for sharing your photos and I hope you feel better soon.

Pat said...

Oh, what a WONDERFUL place to vacation and how nice to have such a large family with which to do that! Thanks for sharing all the great photos....LOVE Allison's trampoline attire, too! :)

debbie m said...

Loved your sharing of family fun. Hope you're better soon. Blessings

busyascanbe said...

Hope you feel better soon.... looks like it was a fun trip!

Simone de Klerk said...

What a lovely happy post, Nanette and what a great place to be! This is like a movie set to me (o:
Some lovely hexagon flowers and the cream hearts are perfect!
Your sisters are very talented too!
Allison - what a darling!

julieQ said...

What an amazing ranch! Love those wide open spaces...and those boots! That made me laugh! How fun that you helped everyone learn to machine quilt, and pretty potholders for sure!

AnnieO said...

You came home with great memories and photos--so much better than the cold. Looks like a wonderful time was had by all. Allison is such a cutie.

pratima said...

The views are so amazing! Great place to unwind and forget everything else. Everyone's projects are utterly adorable! Allison is sooo sweet!!! *kisses*

Elaine Adair said...

I remember you telling me about Star Valley when we went to Oregon.

What is that darling little fru-fru outfit on Allison when jumping on the trampoline? Toooo cute! How nice that the big guy is being all sweet and gentle with her. 8-)))

Becky said...

Love your photo of all the cowboy boots on the shelves:) I love the idea of making potholders with orphan blocks to practice machine quilting. Thanks for the hint! Hope you are recovering and feeling better!

amy smart said...

What a perfect place for a getaway! Love the hexagons. I hope you're over your cold soon. I've got a couple of kids with colds so I'm worried it'll be my turn any minute.

Kim D. said...

What a beautiful place to visit, especially with family. I love to spend quality time sewing with my sister. Thanks for sharing your photo's, looks like you had a great time. I hope you're better today.

Micki said...

What a gorgeous place to vacation! I enjoyed seeing all of the photos!
Micki

calicodaisy said...

Wow! Great trip! Fun to see your sisters and all the projects. When did the new blog banner happen?? Now that I have the "next" button and actually go to all the blogs instead of reading through the reader, I can see all the pretties everyone puts up. Anyway, the banner is great!
-- michele

LuAnn said...

Looks like you had a fun family time. I love the projects you and your sisters worked on. Feel better soon.

Browndirtcottage said...

What a great place to relax, rejuvanate and have some fun. I was wondering what projects you gals would work on this time. Great potholders!! AND hexies!!
I hope you are well over your cold so you can be at your best whilst you finish up that 'homework' you are working on. HA!
My favorite Allison photo is her on that trampoline wearing that prissy little tutu!!!!! She is sooooo cute...how do you guys stand it????

Carrie P. said...

Just finished catching up on your blog. Allison is growing like a weed.
Your sewing room looks great. How nice of your daughters to help out. Makes the job go faster.
You have had a very busy summer.
thanks for taking to time to visit my blog.

Ken Mirr said...

An 800 acre land is a big ranch. You can do a lot of fun and thrilling things in this huge and mountainous area like biking, hiking, boating, fishing, and lots more. I can see in those photos that you all had a fun vacation! So how was our vacation there this year?
Darren Lanphere @ Mirr Ranch Group