Barns of Berks County

25 comments
I grew up in Berks County, Pennsylvania.  Of course there is the city of Reading in that county and several other cities like Kutztown, but most of Berks and it's sister county, Lancaster County,  is made of beautiful green farm land.
Barns are a great sense of pride for farmers in that area.  Many farmers are from German heritage and there is a great population of Amish and Mennonite farmers.  Farmers keep their barns in better repair than their own homes, in some instances.  It is so fun to drive through the county and see the beautiful barns and lush farmland.  When we were there last and driving through the county, Mr. Hive said "I could really live here, or retire here, this is so pretty."
When Lori started her Barn Quilt Along, I thought about the beautiful barns in Pennsylvania and the hex signs that hang on many of them.  That was my inspiration for my barn quilt.
My flimsy is finished.  It is pretty big and measures 66"x 86".  I really like it and I can't wait to get it quilted.  I've been thinking of how I wanted quilted.
I did decide on this green, gray, white and red border fabric that I've been hoarding forever.  The fabric seems perfect with little hex signs and a folk/Amish couple.
I wanted a heading naming the quilt at the top and I searched and searched for letters that I thought would work well with the barns.  I used this Anna Griffin Tilly Alphabet fabric to spell out Barns of Berks County.
I think the letters fit since they are kind of rustic and folky.  Thanks for this fun pattern Lori. It was such a delightful project to make.  The next time you see this it will be quilted and have red binding.  I can't wait.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

25 comments

PamKittyMorning said...

It turned out wonderful! Love the barn photos... it would be nice to live somewhere so green.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

I love your quilts. You are so very talented. :)

Blessings always

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Nanette, it is gorgeous! You just get better and better. Perfect in every way.

Jenny Lynn said...

The Letters are wonderful.

jan said...

So adorable Nanette! I want to make one so bad. It will probaly get moved up on my to do list!
And I love the letter. They are a perfect fit.
Jan

Lynn said...

I love the quilt top! I really admire the way your quilts are so personal. Terrific use of letters on the quilt. Thanks for sharing!

Sentimentally Me said...

Soooooo Adorable! I love driving from CT to PA for the Rennigers Antiques Fairs a few times a year in Kutztown. So serene, and yes, very green!

You are so clever, Nanette! Always putting your own stamp on everything. Quilty Perfection!

Kindred Quilts said...

Enjoyed the barn pictures... your barn quilt is magnificent... love the brightness!

Annette said...

What a fun quilt! And a special memory for you. My husband and I drove through Pennsylvannia country once, it was a beautiful drive. We still talk about it.

Cardygirl said...

The barns are so lovely...nice to see the barns in your quilt too!

Nedra said...

I've only been to your area of Pennsylvania once, but was so taken with the beauty. Your barn quilt does your heritage justice.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I love this quilt so much!! Can't wait to see how it's quilted. So fun. And oh MY, I have to get a hold of some of that alphabet fabric. I love it!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Nanette,

Oh you are a quilter and I love for handiwork! I sa that you live in Alpine! One of my very dearest friends Lani Blood lives there! Wish I live in Utah because you all have the best quilt shops! Our's are boring so I have to order my fabric on line! :(

Noticed you met Lori Holt and you exchanged gifts. How fun! I made the apron pattern sewing tag! She bought them from one of my etsy shops. Small world!

Glad you are a owner of a little Featherweight too!

Have a great day!
Maryjane

PS. The lady that makes the Thread Catchers sales out as soon as she puts them in her shop. I have 2 of them and love them! She is working on a pattern for sale.

Lori Holt said...

Oh it's just perfectly PA Nanette...a true masterpiece!!!

Carrie P. said...

I love it! The name and the border fabric are perfect for your barns. Congrats! on keeping up with the sew along.

Thimbleanna said...

Nanette! I can't believe you have those barns done already! They look wonderful!!!

Dotty Dolly said...

The quilt is gorgeous! I love the border it is very appropriate. We often holiday in France and the barns over there are usually well looked after, particularly the roofs. Can't wait to see the next quilt now!

Helen L said...

Lovely quilt, and such a perfect border!! And I was going to google search for "barn hex signs" today, but you have answered my question with your barn pictures: thanks!! I just started my barn blocks last night (yup, slow to get started over here!!), but I'll be looking for blocks that look like hex signs too: such a great idea!!

Julia said...

I love your Barn quilt Nanette,
I wish we had them here,,,one day I hope to come over and see them in person.
Julia ♥

Barbara said...

Love barns, love Pennsylvania, love your quilts ... so this one is a big winner in my book!

Pat Hansen said...

The thing I always love about your quilts is the personal touch you bring to them. Really pretty!

Unknown said...

When I saw the barns, I did the thinking and thought, she is doing barns in lovely colours and blocks! Of course Nanette! What else. Love, love your choice of colours. Whilst travelling throughout the US this winter, I too admired the many barns of America which I fear will disappear as many are no longer viable in the eyes of progress! Sad.

pratima said...

The letters are beautiful and homely to spell out in the quilt. I had a great time following your progress on this beautiful quilt! I can hardly wait to see it with the borders and all quilted and ready to be nestled in.

dream quilt create said...

What a cute idea, to put letters spelling barns. I love the border fabric you chose, it is perfect! You have a really beautiful quilt. How extra special that you're from Pennsylvania!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Hi Nanette, your flimsy is wonderful! We moved from Lancaster County last year. I miss the back roads and the beautiful barns and farms. Fortunately the county I live in now in WV has a quilt barn trail so that kind of helps me when missing Lancaster County. My MIL lives in Berks County. It's such a small world :) I think you've captured the beauty perfectly in your quilt!!! xo Erin