More about the Parcheesi quilt

Monday, July 28, 2008

I've had quite a few questions about my parcheesi quilt that I am making. I'm not sure how big it will be at this point as I'm just in the process of choosing feedsack squares and appliqueing the parcheesis on to white squares.


You can see this is the template above for the applique piece. And I'm using all feedsacks for my parcheesi fabrics.

I trace the template onto freezer paper and then iron the slick side to the back of the feedsack pieces. Then I cut 1/8"-1/4" around the freezer paper to make the seam allowance that I tuck underneath as I hand applique. When there is about a 3/4" space left at the end of the applique process I pull out the freezer paper right through that space and then finish stitching the parcheesi onto the white square. I've never had trouble getting the freezer paper from in between the fabrics. Sometimes it takes some coaxing or I run the tweezer in between the layers to loosen before pulling it out.
The white squares are 6". Its a nice take-along project to applique on the go or in front of TV in the evening. I'm in no big hurry. I'm enjoying the process since I always like to have hand work around. Its relaxing and as most quilters, I find hand work helps me unwind. So off I go with it. I'm spending time working on this project this week. -nanette

You Might Also Like

32 comments

Popular Posts