avant garde

9 comments






This is kind of a sneak peek at a quilt I've been working on for a long time. My rectangles are finished, I'll be piecing it this week and working on HAND quilting it after that. Probably for the next year and a half.
It is avant garde trees appliqued into circles and leaves and stems onto a delicious grey cotton. It looks amazing and bright and fresh. I love everything about it and can't wait to start hand quilting (which is a new adventure for me)! -Natalie

edit: Thanks for the positive feedback! I love love LOVE applique so I had a blast with this. It was an idea I had; it did not come from a pattern. I have a hard time working with someone else's ideas and really only enjoy working from something I've designed. The fabrics are mostly from new and modern stuff that came out last year, but some of them are vintage and antique fabrics from antique stores and ebay and my mom's stash. When it is pieced together the quilt will be nearly a perfect square. -Natalie
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

9 comments

Joanna said...

I am LOVING this! Wow what a great idea - did you make this up or use a pattern? If you made it up, what was your inspiration?? I really like the fabrics you are using. Just gorgeous!

Elizabeth said...

I REALLY like this! Can't wait to see it progress!

Purple and Paisley said...

wow, natalie! how very striking! i love it...and i know how you feel...some things take a loooong time to finish! =)

Unknown said...

It is looking so marveous! I love little snippets of color and pattern.

Happy spring from Emily in Norway!

jennyflowerblue said...

Really like your sense of colour and design. Grey is not an obvious colour but I think it's beautiful and timeless. How do you do your applique? I struggle to get my circles round with plain old needle turning.

Eileen said...

I love everything about this. SO unique.. a piece of artwork for sure. So what pattern will you use in quilting it I am wondering. Be sure to show us!

Ginger Patches said...

Great colors!! And what a cool original design...and you're going to hand quilt it wow!! I can't wait to see it finished it's going to be beautiful and one of a kind!

Denise (Nour) said...

i love those fabrics too - grey makes a nice modern backdrop to showcase them. Very unique! Cant wait to see it finished. McCalls mag (this month) has a technique to show you how to make perfect applique circles really fast - check it out it may be useful! Have fun!

Tracey M. said...

wow, i want that quilt. very wee!