Applique dresses

23 comments
Last year for our quilt group challenge I made a quilt with little girl's dresses hanging on clothesline. We were challenged to use this 50's laundry fabric, which I had no hard time doing. This is a really awful picture that I took last August when I put this quilt in our local quilt show. I'm going to hang it up at some point, for a while anyway, either in my entry way or sewing room. When I do that I'll take a better picture. But you get the general idea. All the dresses are embellished in some way.
I started out basting the dresses for applique on this off white fabric shown above but it just didn't go with the theme fabric for the challenge so I changed to plain Kona snow for the background of the dresses. However, before I realized my mistake I had already basted 8 dresses on the off white fabric tone on tone. These 8 have been in my orphan block bin and a few weeks ago I dug them out to start the applique. Then this weekend I finished the embellishment.I liked fussy cutting out fun little novelty swatches to applique on the dresses and adding trim. I think I'll make these 8 into a baby quilt and so I can't put buttons on or any trim that isn't sewn on very securely.
This one has a little dog pocket and then a fussy cut dog near the hem. The most fun is picking out things to fussy cut for the embellishment.
These sew up really pretty fast. We watched a movie called "The Prestige" and even though I had to concentrate pretty hard on the plot I was still able to finish them. I'm confused about the ending of the movie, though, so thats what I get.
These two have rick rack and lace sewn on as well as a strawberry on the green with bows and lion's head on the other. I also fray check here and there on some of little items added.

I'm not quite sure how I'll join the blocks. I'll probably sash them and then use this border with the little girls playing house with their doll clothes. Its a fun project. I really try to use all my orphan blocks and over time I usually find a use.

Another reminder - today and tomorrow you can still enter the drawing for the give-away for the 2 kits with springtime umbrellas. Just leave a comment and you'll be added. - nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

23 comments

dot said...

What a neat quilt. It looks like a lot of work went into this quilt. I like the other fabric also.

Julia said...

You always have the neatest novelty fabric. Where do you find it all?
Your little dresses are adorable.

Darlene said...

I'm in love with this quilt, Nanette. It's absolutely adorable! :-) Thank you for sharing.

And, the new version with the cute border print is adorable, too.

Anonymous said...

I love the novelty fabric. The dresses are so cute! Have a great day, Nanette.

Amanda Jean said...

love the quilt! it's adorable.

Nerm said...

Oh, Nanette! You are sew clever! Did you make up this pattern yourself or buy it? I'd love to get it since I have 3 granddaughters to quilt for--ha.
Love the old fashioned fabrics. Just too, too sweet. Nerm

Denise (Nour) said...

You always have the cutest patterns and your choice of material is so appropriate! I love the border fabric with the little children playing. Do you remember the maker? I too prefer working with the Kona cotton instead of the white on white. But I still a half bolt of the stuff in my stash-it's really hard to quilt with even if you are machine quilting!!

Eileen said...

Cute cute! My favorite dress in the new blocks is the blue 30's with the red ruffle. The big one will look so bright hanging on a wall.

JustCindy said...

Sew very adorable. I can't wait to see the finished baby quilt.

michelle said...

I love that dress quilt. I need to make a trip to your house just to see all the quilts you have made. Love the material of the little girls playing laundry.

Jodi Nelson said...

That quilt is so adorable! You never cease to amaze me. I LOVe the little dresses. If I ever attempt appliquéing again, I must make a little dress quilt. Thank you for all the nice comments on my Blog. I love hearing from you! ;o)

jen duncan said...

Absolutely adorable quilt Nanette. Wow. I just love it!!

Sherry said...

That dress quilt is just too cute! I love the fabric with the kids playing house. It will look so nice as a border on the newest dress quilt. Thanks so much for sharing.

Andy said...

what a cute idea!

Jeanne said...

Love the dress quilt!

Colene said...

The little dresses are adorable.

Ginger Patches said...

OMG...how totally cute!!! I've been off the computer for a while and look at the goodies I almost missed!

Oiyi said...

Love the little dresses! It's an adorable quilt.

Oiyi said...

Love the little dresses! It's an adorable quilt.

Paula said...

That quilt is the cutest quilt I've even seen in my life! I love it! I am going to put this on list of quilts to make!

Unknown said...

see it hereview Get More Infowebsite link newspop over to this web-site

smali said...

go to website replica gucci bags image source gucci replica navigate to this website aaa replica bags

thesoosm said...

high quality replica bags m43 u4q12m9l07 buy replica bags online s40 d2c48f2c93 replica wallets n32 w9a39h7y86