Spool Quilt

13 comments
Its a new month and spring is in the air. YAY. It has been in the high 40s for a few days now. Its so nice. There is still plenty of snow hanging around but every day there is less! Since it's March it's time to change and hang different quilts around the house. (just because I said it was nice out, it started to snow this afternoon ---thats what I get)

A few years ago Our local quilt group had a challenge to use as much of our stash during that year as possible. I can't remember how many quilts I made that year but I was motivated. And I'm proud to say I won. This spool quilt is one that I made that year. I constructed the thread in an uneven strip pattern and I grouped the scraps into colors so the spools would look like varigated thread. I have an old olive wooden spool that inspired me to use olive for the spool part of the quilt blocks. My machine quilter, Wren, quilted it like woven thread on the spools. The border is just strips of scraps that I mitered in the corners. I love the scrappy look and this one is probably one my scrappiest quilts. - nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

13 comments

Purple and Paisley said...

wow - i love the spool quilt! the colors are fantastic...i even like the olive...and the border with the mitered corners looks great!

PamKittyMorning said...

Love it, really a great variation on the classic spool blocks. Love the use of solid and the dots!!!

Pam said...

the red & white polka dots are darling on this...

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

jen duncan said...

What a GREAT quilt!! Every choice is just perfection. :-)

Ginger Patches said...

I love that idea...variegated thread on the spools!! Its soooo cute--good job!!!

Denise (Nour) said...

What a great scrap quilt! Loved the multi-colored spool thread. THanks for sharing!

Cheryl said...

What a great scrap quilt and love those dots!

Joanna said...

That is so cute! I love your variegated thread idea.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Nanette! That's adorable. I love the scrappy part of the thread -- what a great idea!

Kairle Oaks said...

Well, I for one am ready for spring! This quilt definitely puts me in the mood!!! So adorable!

jen said...

oh my gosh! i am in love with this quilt. i love the scrapiness!! you amaze me.

Rachel said...

I really love the scrappy striped border... that's a great idea! I'd love to use my scraps to make a whole quilt with stripes like that, maybe interspersed with plain white somehow for some rest for the eye. I'll have to come up with something...

*karendianne. said...

I haven't seen this type of spool. Its fantastic!!!