Little Laurie Goes to Japan

17 comments
It is hard for me to believe my 7th daughter, and 2nd youngest child, Laurie, has completed her first year of college (with a 3.8 GPA). I've always called her little Laurie because of her family placement and her attachment to me. Laurie has been in the Business Scholars class at the University of Utah.  She had a fabulous opportunity to travel to Japan to meet with businesses and have a cultural experience with her class.  The trip was subsidized partly by businesses in Japan and the College of Business at University of Utah.  
Here is Laurie in front of one of Japan's beautiful temples.  Laurie remarked on the incredibly green landscape and the humidity that goes with that color.
How could I pass up having Laurie do a little fabric shopping for me in Japan!?  I emailed Ayumi and asked her about store recommendations.  Thanks so much Ayumi.  Laurie found Yuzawaya.  It is like a department store for crafts, yarn and fabric.  I found a blogger that posted about it here
Laurie was worried about the yen vs. dollar here in this photo, I think.  Plus I am sure the store was overwhelming to her as she's not a sewer, quilter or knitter.
She brought home some great fat quarters.  They are all really cute.  Now I have to decide how to use them.  
She also brought me some washi tape and a little souvenir thimble.  Sweet.
Laurie said she had the very best fruit and tomatoes that she's had in her life.  There were some Japanese foods she wasn't as excited about.  But she brought some fun candy back to show us the differences in flavor and  packaging.
Laurie had a great time there and loved every moment of her Japanese experience.  She did get lost once (scary) but even that turned out to be a good experience.  One of the things she took photos of was the funny Japanese signs.  Well, funny to us.  Laurie remarked on the polite people and the clean cities.  I am glad to have her back home but she was sad to leave Japan.  I will never get to Japan so it is wonderful to  see that country through my little Laurie's eyes.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

17 comments

Sherri said...

How fun for Laurie and for you...love the sign! (And it looks like she did a great job picking our some fun fabrics)!

Simone de Klerk said...

Happy Laurie and happy you! It must have been a wonderful experience for her!

verykerryberry said...

Must have been an eye opening trip. My daughter is keen to go to Japan (she is 11) and it is on my traveling list!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a great experience for Laurie, and what a great post from you! It all is just gorgeous. And what a very good daughter to do such a great job of shopping for Mom.

I went and looked at the blog post you mentioned and it looks like a store you could spend lots of time (and money) in. LOL

Lynn said...

What a fun post, thanks for sharing! What a good daughter to buy fabric for you! Such a good experience, my middle daughter is saving for a semester (or a summer ) study abroad. Maybe this time next year!?!

jen duncan said...

Whaaaa?! Strawberry KitKat?! Okay, between that and Yuzawaya...I'M GOING!!

Retrogirl said...

Nanette,
it's so fun to see what your family is up to! Mason & his date look like they were having an absolute blast. Laurie visiting Japan (and fabric shopping for mom *bonus points!*) is super cool...wondering about the tomatoes. Do you all have access to heirloom tomatoes where you're at? I am saving some seed now & could send you some if you're interested. They're 'real' tomatoes like we knew as kids and they have the sweetest smell. Nothing like regular grocery store tomatoes.
Best Wishes,
Heather

Susan said...

What a great place to visit for Laurie. It is so nice how our children have opportunities to travel especially abroad.

Nedra said...

What a great opportunity for your daughter. My daughter Elizabeth graduated from the U of U with a degree in Linquistics/ Emphasis Japanese. She had planned to teach English there for a year. But, fortunately plans changed right as the sunami hit. (Whew!)
And who knows, maybe you WILL have a chance to go there someday yourself!

Val said...

Wow. What an experience to go to Japan. I would have been worried sick especially about her getting lost. Glad she is home!!!

doodlebugmom said...

My son was able to study in Norway for a semester, what wonderful opportunities for our children. He didn't bring me home any fabric, just chocolate (trust me, I am not complaining, it was the most amazing chocolate I ever had!).

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Our daughter, Collette, was born in Japan when we were stationed there during Steve's time in the Air Force. We had wonderful adventures when we lived there. Lauried is so right about all the green......and the humidity! We had two places we loved to shop...Akihabara for electronics for Steve and I loved Asaksabashi (might not have that spelled right) where there was a shop that sold sooooo much cool fabric and craft stuff. We'd love to return for a visit but not likely it will every happen. Good memories, though! Laurie is so lucky to have been able to take this trip!

Carrie P. said...

How exciting to take a trip to Japan and she was so sweet to bring you back some goodies.

pratima said...

That is pretty awesome! What a fun trip for Laurie!! Her presents for you are so sweet! :0)

Kimberly said...

I love this post! We've been a host family to several Japanese girls (we're on #8 now and will have her for the next two school years) and we've enjoyed them all. One sent me a package of beautiful fabrics at Christmas time and it was such a surprise and a treat!

PamKittyMorning said...

I love the photos. That candy is something. Of course I love Japanese things. Also love the cute picture of Laurie! Your girls are awesome!

ayumills said...

How did I miss this wonderful post??!!
I so enjoyed reading about Laurie's trip in Japan! She is so sweet to get so many goodies for you from here! So many kitkats I have never tried before.. they all look yummy!