London 2012 Quilt

20 comments
I always have such huge expectations for weekends.  My dream and what I am capable of doing are completely out of line.  But I am somewhat happy with my weekend progress this time.
Don't you hate when your sewing room is a mess?  This is actually clean, above.  Shelbie and Laurie helped me fold and clean up in my sewing room.  I love love it when it is organized.  That can change so fast when I'm in the middle of a project.  I do have a pile on my cutting table with fabric for my London 2012 quilt.  I'm in the middle of cutting out fabric.  And those piles next to my cutting table are stacks I am using or in a UFO que.  
I made my Big Ben block.  It looks a little crooked but it will be ok when I trim and attach the block.  I had several versions of Ben but this is the final product.  I appliqued the clock face with my machine.
I cut out 9 flags and started with a blue block 6" x 9" and after adding the strips it ended up 7" x 10".  
I used the tutorial from Selvage Blog asterisk block here.  I made these little Union Jack blocks previously here.  And I cut the flag strips slightly oversized depending on the fabric.
I fussy cut the stripe so it would be somewhat like the Union Jack stripe.  My favorite block is the one in the foreground.  
I added all shades of blue for the flags.  I enjoyed making these so much, I may make more.  I'm really passionate about this London quilt.  And now that my sewing room is clean, I don't want to leave it.  I was up past midnight sewing last night.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

20 comments

Barbara said...

I adore your Union Jacks! I can't blame you for wanting to make more.

dream quilt create said...

That is going to be such a gorgeous quilt! I remember trying to draw the Union Jack in Elementary school, it was really hard. Maybe you should send a pic of the finished quilt to Princess Kate :)

Dotty Dolly said...

It`s all looking amazing! I love the Union Jacks

CuteStuffInside said...

Your blocks are fabulous!

Liv said...

Another amazing quilt in the making! Liv x

Joy said...

I'm loving your London quilt Nanette - with my daughter living in London right now I'm thinking it would be a good one to make for when (if) she decides to come home for good.
Hugs,
Joy :o)

~Niki~ said...

oooh, love these blocks!

Lurline said...

Nice stitching! You will have a lovely reminder of Olympics 2012,
Hugs - Lurline!

Lurline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

What a wonderful quilt. I love what you are doing.

AnnieO said...

Some projects cannot be denied! Love all your union jacks and the Big Ben is wonderful. Enjoy!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Isn't it fun when you get on a roll and just sew and sew and sew?! This is going to be another winner of a Nanette quilt! Good for you!!

Shari said...

I love love your blocks. So glad you are mixing it up with the fabrics.

My oldest daughter just got back from a holiday in Japan. She had a great time and remarked how polite everyone is and how clean it is. Hope she really enjoys it!

Carrie P. said...

Looking good. Glad you got to do some sewing.
Have you seen these London fabrics?
Just came across them.
http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/designer/dear_stella_house_designer/town__country

Sherri said...

This is going to be an amazing quilt! I love that flag block in the front too...and everything really!

I always have such big expectations for my sewing time, too...and I'm always disappointed if I don't get as much finished as I want to!

heartsease54 said...

I can't wait to see the finished quilt, it is going to be stunning. Love your union jack blocks, what a great idea to used stripe fabric-it never would have occurred to me-I would have paper pieced it all.

pratima said...

Your Big ben block is adorable, Nanette! Love the clock!
And the selection of fabrics for Union Jack blocks are very charming!

DAWNIE said...

Wow this looks great

Lori Holt said...

Nanette... Your quilt is going to be so wonderful!
I remember talking about it at lunch and it's even better than I imagined. I love all of your fabric choices... And I love Big Ben!

PamKittyMorning said...

Of course fantastic. Love Big Ben and all those little flags.