Barn Raising

21 comments
I've succumbed to Lori's Barn A Long.  I know.  Another project when I should be working on my UFOs.  I'm bad.
I have this calendar in my studio that shows barns and their hex signs/quilt blocks.  Who knew Lori was going to do this barn-a-long when I bought this calendar last year.  
This is my March calendar page.  Since I'm from Pennsylvania, I've always loved the beautiful barns and hex signs in Berks and Lancaster counties that the Amish and Mennonite people have made.  They take great care of their barns.  So with those barns in mind and the fact that I've always wanted to make a hex sign quilt, I joined Lori.

This was the first barn I made.  I really should have tried harder to match the plaid.  Oh well.
This was the 2nd barn I made with Lori's patterns.  The bird seemed to go with the hex sign thing.
I decided to make some of my own 6" blocks for the barns and my faux hex signs.  So I made this one appear more circular by having the edges blend into the barn.
I also used that idea with this red barn.  I'm not sure about it.  I think if I had it to do over again I'd put a background fabric in like the first 2 barns I made.  I do like this roof, though.  It is really REALLY fun to pick out fabric for my barns.  It is making my sewing room all torn up because I keep pulling fabric and throwing them around.

I have a new keyboard ordered from Amazon, I've used a different computer to make this post.  It is strange to be typing and then all of a sudden not have a B.  Think about it, especially since this post is about Barns

Are you doing this barn-a-long, too?  I'm thinking mine will be called Barns of Berks County.  I may even work the words into the design.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

21 comments

Cardygirl said...

Great blocks...I love the blocks on the barns!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your barn blocks are so cute Nanette! It's going to be a great quilt.

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

I've tried to resist, but I can't :) Printed out the patterns tonight and been scheming/planning my background fabric all week! I forgot that you like the hex signs too. Right now my dilemma is not much red fabric in my collection. But I do have a plaid I may start with. My barns might end up pretty daring LOL but I have to make at least one! Love yours so far.

trish said...

Yay!! We are all building barns! :0)
I *love* your barns and super cute
choices of fabric!! :0)

Mary said...

Great blocks. I love barn quilts. Yours are going to look wonderful.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like your barns! You amaze me.

debbie said...

I absolutely LOVE the roof in your last picture. I need to learn to think more broadly like you have. It is perfect but I would never have thought of that! I still can't get over the sweet pic of you and Eliza. The look of love on your face is unmistakable and those chubby cheeks...ohhh

Sherri said...

LOVE them all! I sewed a barn block today and have 3 barns ready to sew...just need to make 2 more barn blocks for the sides!

All these row alongs and quilt alongs are messing up my newly organized shelves, too...I'm going to need to take a few hours and put things back!

dream quilt create said...

Your barns are great! I have joined it but can't get started until the end of April. There will be no stopping me then!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I was in Berks County yesterday! I went to Ladyfingers Quilt Shop (it used to be Summer House) in Oley. The barns will definitely make you think of PA!

PatSloan said...

i was BORN in Pennsylvania!! A Barn along eh? what FUN! yours are totally adorable.. of course!

Marie said...

Before I comment just want to wish you and yur sweet family a Blessed Easter. Thanks for sharing your family with us,yur so loved!. Now--love the barns, I loved for 15 years in Ohio and saw many barns that had the patterns on them, love them. Is there a special patter to make the barn? I have tried to find my mojo and I think this is where it is. thanks for sharing. Many hugs to you and your, Marie

Gigi's Thimble said...

LOVE your barns. I would so love to join. Maybe I will. I really shouldn't but they're so cute! We'll see.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, naughty, naughty Nanette. If I were a nun in the imaginary catholic school that you went to as a child (ha!) I'd wrap your knuckles with a ruler and tell you to get back to your UFOs LOL! I LOVE the little block that you made to look like a hex sign -- you very clever girl! Have a wonderful Easter Weekend!

Annette said...

What an original and fun idea for a quilt! Your barns are absolutely adorable!

Lori Holt said...

Yay!!!... You made some Pennsylvania barns!
Of course you know that when I lived there...we lived in Lancaster county and I fell in LOVE with the hex barns too...they are part of my inspiration for creating the barn block in the first place:)
I love your barns.
Will you post them on the Quilty Barn Along Flickr group?

AnnieO said...

Lori holds out crack regularly to quilters...and who could resist crack that is barn shaped? Love your versions.

pratima said...

Barns are nostalgic! Even though these are quite different from the ones we grew up around, the feeling is the same. Your new project is already looking so lively and gorgeous with the interesting fabrics you are putting in them. Happy quilt-along!

Lady of the Cloth said...

Where can I find the barn pattern? I live them all.

Unknown said...

replica bags bangkok replica bags toronto replica bags india

Unknown said...

replica bags korea gucci fake l1r28i7x98 replica bags wholesale in divisoria replica bags online pakistan fake hermes f7a77k0s52 replica bags from turkey zeal replica bags more w5g77h4f13 replica goyard bags