Last February Fabric Friday

28 comments
Business first - Here is the link for the handout I gave at the retreat last week. It is a PDF attachment on my google site that you can print off on your computer. I was going to email it but it seems easier to make it available to anyone since I had a few requests. I'll put the link on my side bar, too. It is for personal use only. Thanks!

At the retreat there was a vendor area and we had plenty of time to look at fabric and supplies. I was being very careful with expenditures or I would have found lots to bring home.
Lynette, a sweet girl from my "Leafy Treetop" class has opened a brand new shop just north of St. George, Utah in the little town of Hurricane. It is called Main Street Quilt Cottage. Lynette and her crew gave all the retreat participants "SWAG" in the form of a red pen and home made lip balm. I think of Lynette every time I use them. Her shop in Hurricane is about 5 hours south of where I live so I haven't visited yet, but I'd like go soon.
I did buy a few little fat quarters from Lynette's shop. I do like me some Sunbonnet Sue (Flora avert your eyes) and there were 3 prints in sweet colorways that I brought home with me. They are on my cutting table where I can admire them a few more days before placing them in their new home on my shelf.
I love strawberries too, and these two little fat quarters were in lovely colors so they joined the Sues.
And then 2 sweet novelties called me from among the colored jewels of rolled-up fat quarters. So 7 fat quarters found a new home and they were on sale. Deal. Wasn't I very good?
One more thing I bought from Lynette's mini shop at the retreat was this little teeny tiny iron. It is perfect to tuck into my travel sewing kit. Plus it is red and very vintage looking. It works pretty well, too.
One of the classes I taught with Shelbie was the pincushion class mentioned previously. I didn't show you a close up of the finished pincushion that Shelbie made during the class. I've been saying orange is the new red. And this proves it.
After Christmas I purchased this teacup from Anthropologie on sale for $4.00. The pedestal is a little tiny candlestick holder I got at Broadbent's for 88 cents. It was stained a redish wood color. Mr. Hive sanded it and spray painted it a warm white. We used this glue that you can buy at any craft store. The glue holds really well but is stinky. Be warned. The pincushion turned out so incredibly cute. Remember I got this idea from Pam eons ago.
When I got home I had this wonderful surprise waiting for me. Monica - is there anyone more sweet or thoughtful than her? - sent me this yellow Moda "Dottie" that I had been admiring on her blog (see this post). It is the perfect buttery color for one of the tea kettles I'm appliqueing. I gushed over it and she sent some to me. Blush. Thank you so much Monica. She called it a "random act of stashiness" and it isn't the first stashy surprise Monica has given me. (It will be fun getting her back at a random time! shh) Check out this month's Quilts and More for Monica's stuffed mushroom needle book pattern. I feel privileged to count someone talented like her as my friend. Monica is a star. She's going to be featured (face time and all) in 2009 Studios magazine. Wowie.

Have a sewing weekend everyone. - nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

28 comments

Busy Little Quilter said...

You did better than I do when it comes to buying fabric at retreats or quilt shows. I usually go crazy and come home with tons more than I really need. The fabrics you chose are great.

I love the pincushion that Shelbie made. I did something similar a few years ago, but I didn't put the coffee cup on a pedestal. What a cute idea.

Yes, Monica is a sweetie. I feel honored to have so many talented friends, including you, who share their talents with the rest of us. It's always fun to see our friends in magazines!

Sherri said...

Oh we did buy some of the same fabrics at the retreat...well you know what they say..."great minds think alike!" And I LOVE Shelbie's pincushion! And that yellow Moda dot...I might have to be jealous about that one! Have a great weekend!

rachel griffith said...

oh i love all 7 fats!!!

SUPER cute pincushion.

and that monica.
she's a real gem.
:D

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Nanette, I've just been enjoying and enjoying all the great pictures from your retreat. Looks like you all had a great time and learned a lot, too. Of course the fabric rewards were just bonus! And Shelbie did a wonderful job on her pincushing. It's gorgeous!

Julie said...

We are going to St. George for spring break. I will have to find that shop.

What a darling pin cushion. I need to go to the DI and see if I can find some cups and saucers as cute as that one. Have a nice day. Julie

Betsy said...

you are such a good girl and the eye candy on your blog was delightful

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

First, thank you for your handout, I am going right now to print it out. 7 fat quarters way to go , I am alo like Amanda and buy way more than I can every use, great choices. I do not have the honor of knowing Monica, so I need to pop over for a visit. have a wonderful weekend, I am off to print your handout, Thank you!

Anonymous said...

It's all wonderful, but if I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be one of the strawberries. Sounds like a great time, and good souvenirs, too! Barbara

jen duncan said...

It's all just so yummy and wonderful Nanette!

Momoo said...

Reading your blog has given me a new appreciation for small prints, I've never looked at them in the past. Cute iron, looks like it would be easy to pack.

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

I love that tea cup pin cushion!! How adorable!! I have been looking those irons too!! :) Thanks for having so much fun stuff to see and show us....EVERYDAY! Love it! Thanks.

Carrie P. said...

Thanks for sharing. The pin cushion in the tea cup is so cute.

pratima said...

Fat quarters are so cute!!
Shelbie's pincushion is beyond adorable!
Thank you so much for the handout. It would be so interesting to read through it.

Kaaren said...

Love the fabric and the pin cushion is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

I saw Shelbie's pincushion in your previous post and thought it was adorable. How fun to know she made it. Thanks Nanette for the handout. I'll play-pretend I was there :-)

Mimi Sue said...

Cute pincushions. Don't you want to do a tutorial on it? Mimi

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...I just got caught up on your blog and what a time you've had! The retreat sounded wonderful and what a beautiful setting too! I watched your slide slow - pretty clever! And I noticed Gail Barry!!! She used to live up here and taught a few classes I attended years ago! I heard she was going to open a quilt shop in Alpine - wonder what happened?!? Please tell her hi for me and Stephanie and Helen! I love the tea cup pin cushion - such a cute idea and I'm thinking my workroom looks rather barren without one! Now I have a favor to ask...would you mind putting a link on your blog to mine about our upcoming quilt show? I'm just thinking that there might be some women who might want to buy a raffle ticket or 20 and I would be happy to write their names down if they send me a check, made out to American Hero Quilts - a non-profit and the website for them is: www.americanheroquilts.com Thanks Nanette, I'll repay you with something wonderful...I promise! xo, The Other Nanette

Cathi said...

That little iron looks so cute! Does it press seams well?
Love the pincushion.

Shari said...

What a great collection of fabric. Very cheerful. And I love the teacup pincushion. Orange does seem to be the new red...

Unknown said...

Nanette, I am just loving the repro's that you obtained to add to your stash! I love them. One of my next projects is a 30's. God knows I certainly have plenty of these fabrics. I need to start cutting into them. Wonderful little pincushion and it looks so cute in the teacup. Monica is the"bomb" isn't she, just love her!

MichelleB said...

I love the fabrics! And that teacup is just adorable. I love the way that it came out as a pin cushion.

Anonymous said...

I hope it's okay with you but I "lifted" the picture of your sewing room with your new chandelier to use in my lesson tomorrow for the young women - it's on homemaking - and making your home a beautiful place - and I thought the chandelier you added to your work room was a perfect picture to go along with the lesson...so I hope you don't mind! xo, The Other Nanette

Denise said...

Thank you so much for the retreat handout. While I wasn't at the retreat I really appreciate the information. I have been working very hard on the concept of "making do or do without." I love reading your blog and learning so much. Thank you again.

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful fabrics Nanette! And how lucky to get that moda dot from Monica -- I've been meaning to do an online search ever since I saw it on her January BOM. And do I know what Studio is? It's not ringing a bell!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Love those pastel Sunbonnet Sue fabrics. The teacup pincushion is so cute! And yes, that glue works great, have used it for years. It smells strong and it gives a strong hold!!

Lori Holt said...

Nanette,
I agree with your fabric choices to bring home. You can never have too many 30's prints!
That iron is so darn cute- I wonder how hot it gets?
The tea cup pincushion is fun...
In the summer when I'm having a backyard party,
I use that same glue to adhere old cut glass punch cups on copper tubing(like a plant stake) and stick them in my flower beds with a candle in them. Sometimes I make a lighted pathway leading to the backyard.
I really like the way they look in the evening and the way they cast a shadow on my flowers.
You can tell I'm ready for spring:)

Dionne said...

What a wonderful retreat! Thank you so much for providing your handout for all of us! I love your fabric choices!
Cheers,
Dionne

Nan said...

Every fabric is calling my name - they are all too cute! I am proud of you - you did extremely well with your purchasing. The pincushion that Shelbie made is wonderfully cute! I agree with you that orange is the new red - I see it everywhere.
Monica is the best, isn't she? I have been pleasantly surprised with random gifts of stashiness, too, and I've loved everything she's sent. I feel blessed to call her a friend, too. I'll be looking for that magazine for sure!