Classes at Ruby's

35 comments
My schedule at the Ruby's retreat was brisk but enjoyable. I took 2 classes from talented teachers and I taught 3 classes and gave the Friday night trunk show. Time flew by as with all fun things.
The first class I took at Ruby's was from Carol Johnson called Parker Homestead. It's a picture art type 8" x 11" mini quilt of Butch Cassidy's father's homestead in Circleville, Utah. I'm not usually drawn to landscape quilting but the charm of this white cabin drew me to the picture. I've always wanted to know how they do these art quilts and so I decided to take a class about a subject totally unknown to me. It was fun learning the layered fabric techniques and Carol is a great teacher. As you can see I'm not finished yet. The actual house is an applique on top of the landscape formed by different fabrics and textures. Carol printed the houses from her computer onto fabric from a photo she actually took herself. I enjoyed the class and everyone else did too.
The other class I took was from Nedra on Saturday morning. She taught a traditional paper template hexagon class. Since I've been working on my Inklingo hexagons I decided to bring them to class and work on them while watching Nedra's technique and getting to learn more about hexagon quilts.
Nedra is so composed and classy. It is hard to describe her but those of you that read her blog know what a wonderful talented lady she is. Here she is with her beautiful hexagon quilt. Can you believe she made this while being a mom, wife and student? Incredible.
The first class I taught was "All Dressed Up" - my dress quilt pattern. I had kits prepared so we could get straight to applique. I was surprised that none of the girls in the class had experienced the applique technique I taught with freezer paper. I sort of explain how to do it here. I do not use starch and iron the seam allowance around the freezer paper. I've tried that and only succeeded in burning my fingers. I do it sort of like this tutorial but I've never used plastic over top to make placement. To my delight I think they all enjoyed learning this technique.
Isn't this red block from Carol incredibly sweet? I love the scalloped fabric. (If you look really hard in the back ground of this picture you can see Paula right above some one's shoulder. Paula and Flora taught at the retreat, too.)
My star pupils Sherri and Dawn show their first blocks. Cute, huh. Oh we had fun.
Later in the day is a back view of Dawn and Sherri during one of the group meetings. You can see their bent heads working on their applique while they listened to the presentation. I was so proud of them working on their blocks whenever they had a chance.
Here are Kayrene's blocks. I was so proud of her, too. Even though applique was not her favorite part, she loved embellishing the dresses. It is my favorite part, too. That girl is going to finish this quilt quickly. She's determined. I love that.
I taught my "In the Leafy Treetops" quilt. The girls taking this class caught on really quickly and although the block construction is simple, the sketch machine embroidery is new to most quilters. Shauna and Tonya had been hard at work on their feather weight machines making blocks.
The "purple loving Lynette" is on the right here. I spoke to her on the phone before the retreat. She owns a great quilt shop in Hurricane, Utah called Main Street Quilts. I can't wait to visit her at her new shop when I go down south to visit Nedra. Lynette is the type of person that is an instant friend as soon as you meet her.
I was surprised at how many quilters had featherweight machines. Lynette even painted her's purple. How about that Terri!
Tonya had her first row of birds all sketch embroidered. It was great to see the classes progress. I can't wait to see pictures of their quilts and I hope they send them to me.
Across the table is fun Valerie. She is a quilt designer and has a blog and website. Go see her pink birdies at her blog. They are darling! Missing from the class picture is Carol. She was so fun to have in the class. I really liked getting to know her. This smaller class was more intimate and we got to know things about each other. You can see me with my featherweight. And my soda Mr. Hive brought to revive me.
Shelbie and I taught a night class together for vintage pincushions. It was fun but somewhat challenging to get some of the round cushions into square openings.
Valeen was such a good sport and had such a fun laugh. Her little bear was especially challenging. But oh so cute. We laughed a lot during this class.
And found we had lots of connections. This was a more free form style craft with plenty of getting-to-know-you time. I had such fun gals with me there. I thought every pincushion turned out just darling.

Tomorrow I'll talk about the trunk show. Yeah I know it is a little self serving but I won't make you wade through every photo. I promise.

It makes me smile just to review these pictures. I sure wish Bonnie would do a retreat for bloggers to get together. I know it would be a success. Bonnie is a master planner. If anyone could pull it off, Bonnie could.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

35 comments

Carrie P. said...

Oh, I wish I could have been there. Looks like so much fun and your students made some very cute dresses. Love the trim on them.
Using freezer paper like you do is a great way to teach applique.
I have always wanted to learn to make a landscape quilt. Can't wait to see your finished.

jacquie said...

what a wonderful place and a great time. i'm sure the ladies learned lots from you. someday i'm going to be in that audience!

Purple and Paisley said...

you all sound like you had a wonderful time...i wish retreats like this were offered near me...and *swoon* over the purple featherweight...☺

Sherri said...

It was so much fun...I'm so glad you're doing three posts on the retreat...because I love hearing about everything! And you were such a terrific teacher and inspiration to me...so thanks again!

Thriftin and Craftin said...

The dress blocks are precious. Looks like everyone had so much fun!

antique quilter said...

so much fun reading about your classes, I hear the excitement in your words.
YOU had so much fun taking classes and teaching them!
Kathie

Elizabeth said...

This really makes me want to go to a quilt retreat. Have you read the Elm Creek Quilt books? They run a quilt camp and it sounds like so much fun. This makes me want to do it even more.

Joanna said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun!

Susan said...

You girls west of the Mississippi have so much quilting fun. I have started the All Dressed Up blocks but haven't posted them yet. I love applique.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I've done 2 quilt retreats and had such fun. Much more fun to have a friend along! What a fun purple featherweight.

rachel griffith said...

oh how fun.
love looking at the pics.
and the purple featherweight...how funny.

Nedra said...

I wish I had had time to take one of your classes. Unfortunately we were teaching at the same time. Seeing your pictures makes me want to jump in and go back!

CJ said...

Looks like great fun! I would have liked to been at this event. :D

PamKittyMorning said...

Love all the photos! Looks like a grand time. ANd in that last photo that tiny bird pincushion is so cute!!

Unknown said...

So fun! Thanks for the links too :)

Momoo said...

As usual, I'm learning as I read your blog and follow your links. I couldn't follow the hexagon explanation, did you print them on the fabric? I've been using mylar forms inside my hexagons. Thanks for the great info.

Betsy said...

wonderful, wonderful stories. I truly enjoyed every second of it.

Candace said...

Wow - so many creative gals in one place! How fun! Thanks for the great pictures, Nanette!
Cheers!

em's scrapbag said...

I really enjoyed your post. Valerie is my dear friend and Valeen is my aunt. So that made your post extra special. Glad you had a great time.

em's scrapbag said...

I really enjoyed your post. Valerie is my dear friend and Valeen is my aunt. So that made your post extra special. Glad you had a great time.

em's scrapbag said...

I really enjoyed your post. Valerie is my dear friend and Valeen is my aunt. So that made your post extra special. Glad you had a great time.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

OOOhhh, I will be there next time and not in spirit, but in person! It looked like everything I thought a retreat would be; for I have never been on one, and to be there with friends, how lovely.

quiltingnana said...

the class looks like so much fun....

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I don't know where to begin!! Loved the whole post and look forward to tomorrow's trunk show. I am coveting those pincushions you all made. Love the little yellow birdie!! Isn't it nice to have enjoyed something so much that just looking back at the photos of the event can bring back happy smiles. I drive my family nuts because I take lots of pictures but guess who has fun looking at them when we all get together? :-) A retreat for bloggers would be great!

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh -- wouldn't a bloggers quilt retreat be such great fun??? Maybe one day -- and someplace like Bryce would be a perfect draw!

Ginger Patches said...

Oh what a wonderful retreat that sounds like! I would have loved to take your applique class :)

Val said...

This looks like so much fun. I loved it all but I really like the dress blocks. They are great.

Des said...

Next best thing to being there! Thanks Nanette!

Lori Holt said...

Nanette, I LOVE your blog and all of your photos.
It looks like you had a great retreat- I really like the "all dressed up" blocks and what cute pincushins- I'll check back later for the trunk show photos!

Mel said...

Thanks for sharing the retreat with us! I've heard many good things about your classes in Bryce!

Hey I know Valerie! She was in my Dear Jane swap I did years ago and I've been to a couple of retreats where she's been a student too. She is sooooo nice and generous!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos. The projects all looked so great and you can tell all the fun that was going on!
So when is this blogger retreat?!!

sewtakeahike said...

Nanette, you are such a wonderful teacher whether in person or online! Thank-you for sharing some photos from your retreat, I can tell the women there were totally blessed by you!

Simone de Klerk said...

How busy busy busy everyone looks. And I just love those appliqued dresses! So happy. You must have had a wonderful time with sooooooo many wonderful people, sharing the same passion!

Nan said...

How could anyone get tired of your posts about this retreat? I enjoyed every one immensely. I wish I could have been there to take classes from you - I would've been the naughty kid in the corner. I love all the projects your students created - wonderful!
I am definitely all for a bloggers retreat, too! What fun we would all have.

Anonymous said...

Wow, wish I could have been there. I would love to learn how to do the "In the Leafy tree tops" quilt. I know my mother would love one.

http://loveblankets.blogspot.com/