Retreat Part 3

26 comments
So if you are sick of me bragging about how much fun I had last week, skip to the next blog. Because I am not done yet.
Everyday at 1:00 at 7:00 we had general meetings at the retreat where prizes were given. My kids call it SWAG and told me it means "stuff we all get". Well not everyone is fortunate enough to win a prize so I'm not sure it was SWAG but it was very fun seeing the winners jump in excitement. I did manage to snag a prize the very last day at the very last general meeting.
The fun door prizes were drawn out of a bag by 3 sisters Tauna Larsen, Janene Tullis and Sheree Walstad. The girls were hilarious. Everyday they wore hats and told silly stories with hillbilly accents. Janene is in our local quilt group. And she is the one that gave all our local gals that fabulous lap board prize last month. I'm loving that every time I use it.The last day Tauna told a story about her needing stitches from a nasty quilting gash she got at the retreat a previous year. So she kindly put together this 'first aid for quilters' bag to give away as a door prize.
She asked if there was anyone that cut themselves during the time together. My fabulous friend Flora immediately pulled my hand up and declared me the winner. There was some vying for the prize and many declaring injuries but thanks to Flora I got it! Don't you love it when you win. Being the last day even made it sweeter. Though my cut wasn't big, it was on my right thumb, an essential part of hand work. And wouldn't you know it, Monday morning after the retreat I cut the tip of my other thumb when I was opening a package at work. So I've got band aids on both thumbs. But let me tell you it was worth it to win Tauna's prize. And by Sunday putting on the ointment and band aid made a huge difference in my right thumb. So Thank you Tauna!
Friday night was my trunk show. I'll spare you most of the pics of me and my quilts. Most of you have seen a good part of my quilts here before. I was nervous but soon relaxed in front of all the lovely ladies. The funnest part of showing my "Leafy Treetops" quilt (above) was when all the ladies broke out in song singing "In the Leafy Treetops, the birds sing good morning . . . ". It was spontaneous and wonderful to connect with all of them singing a song from childhood that inspired the quilt.
Again, the fabulous Flora came through for me and braved standing on a chair with my sweet friend Judi. (Nedra's Judi - well, we share her)
I gave everyone a hand out on finding vintage or unusual reproduction fabric, my fabric/quilt point of view, and a little SWAG of a 6" feed sack square.
I could go on and on and on but I know you have a life so I'll stop right here. If anyone wants a copy of my handout, just email me and I'll pass it along. Not that it is fabulous or anything, but ya know, some one might be interested.

One more post Friday show my few buys at the vendors tables. I only picked up a little bit but I want to sh0w-n-tell. Tomorrow I'm going to try to put together a slide show from our Alpine quilt group last night. It was fabulous!

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

26 comments

The Demanding Doll said...

Green with envy here. I've only been to one retreat ever and that was years ago. It was some of the best fun though. You look like you enjoyed yourself and your audience looks like they did too. :)

Elizabeth said...

I love that last quilt. I love reproduction fabric. I noticed you said you cut your finger at work. Do you have a job in addition to your 8 kids plus your quilting? Wow! I'm impressed.

Sherri said...

I'm so glad you mentioned your handout...I love it! I kept meaning to tell you thank you for that as well but forgot! It will be fun to see your shopping finds as well...and to hear about your Alpine quilt night!

Nedra said...

I loved your post. It was like being there all over again! (well almost).
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures from That Alpine Group. Judi drove home yesterday and I know she was going to be there and show your bag she made. I finished mine too and did a post about it last night. Ricci saw it and wants to make one also! You are a hit!

Carla said...

Sorry about your thumbs! LOL You sure look like you had a good time. I'm very jealous. Congrats on winning a prize.

amy smart said...

I would LOVE one of those handouts! Your fabric choices are my favorite.

Betsy said...

I too would love the handout.
why not put it on PDF so we could print it?

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I'd love your handout, too. How great for you to see your quilts so appreciated!!!

Des said...

You just keep those posts about your retreat coming. You're preaching to the choir, here!! :) and of course, you won. you always win. You're a winner. remember?

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Nanette's poor thumbs, I would never get tired of reading your posts or looking at your pictures. Yes, Please I would love a handout, you know we all love your fabric. Glad you won, just in time it seems.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Nanette,
I've been jumping between yours, Nedra's and Sherri's blog and seeing wonderful pictures. Hope your thumb is on the mend and I'm so glad you won the care package.
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

rachel griffith said...

hats & hillbilly accents.
too funny.

your poor thumbs!!!
:O(

i love looking at your quilts.
they make me happy.

oh and i'm gonna email you for one of those handouts.
:D

i can't wait to see your show 'n tell post!!!

Mimi Sue said...

Looks like you girls had a fabulous time at Bryce Canyon. Love to get together with like minded people and have fun. I was wondering if you could do a tutorial on those pincushions. I have a bunch of those little planter/vase/animal things and would love to find a great way to make pincushions out of them. Only if you have time...Mimi

erica e said...

i love seeing your quilts. and that last one was one i hadn't seen. so fun and scrappy!

Thimbleanna said...

SOME of us don't have a life, so keep on showing LOL!

Dawn said...

Teriffic post...and yipee for you for winning a door prize....those ladies were over-the-top funny!! Thank you for the handout...BTW..I have been to your websites and have already been to Amazon-Japan...holy cow..the books are cheep but the shipping...pick me up off the floor!!

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

Hi Nanette--

I LOVED reading about your retreat! It reminded me how fun it was when I spoke and taught last fall here in OK. Nothing like a retreat to bring out the fun in a group. I'm so glad you had a great time.

We're going to be in St. George in April! Any chance you'll be there, too? Keep in touch---

jen duncan said...

Nope, I don't think I'll get sick of hearing about this fun time you all had! Looks so great. And thanks for letting me know what SWAG stood for...I never had figured that one out, ;-)

Julia said...

I LOVED reading about your retreat!
Wish i could have been there..
Such fun!
Julia ♥

Susan said...

Nanette, I love these posts; it's as close as I'll get to being there. I would love a handout.

Pat said...

I'd love your handout...too bad I don't know that information for going to the MidAtlantic Quilt Festival tomorrow. :(

Lurline said...

I love the second last one with the scalloped edge - looks sooo very pretty!
Hugs - Lurline♥

pratima said...

Nanette, I enjoyed reading about your retreat so much. This is the closest I can get to a retreat, so, it was really fun to see it through your eyes :)
Sorry to hear about your thumb. Hope it is healing quickly.

Patty said...

I just finished reading all your Quilt Retreat writings and all I can say is “WOW”. Hopefully someday I will get to go to a retreat, they look like so much fun!

Julie said...

That first-aid kit is so cute--what all does it have in it? I am president of my quilt group and would like to put those together for the ladies. Thanks a bunch. Julie

Cathi said...

Wow -- that looks like it was an amazing retreat! Your little first aid kit is cute -- but I hope you heal up quickly!