Tracey and Eliot's Christmas Gift

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Between 12/19 and 12/23 I bound 2 quilts.  One was the Christmas quilt I showed in the last post and the other one was a huge (103"x108") quilt for my daughter Tracey and her husband Eliot.  Needless to say I had cracked and very sore fingertips.  But it was well worth it.
Tracey and Eliot live in Tulsa and recently purchased their first home.  They were here for Christmas with us (fun).  We mailed the quilt to them after the holidays.  Tracey washed and dried it to get it all soft for their bed.  I think it looks great.  Apparently their cat likes it, too.  I really like the drop on the sides so I'm glad it ended up being that size.
I was going for a "vintage modern" look with the quilt keeping with the colors of their bedroom.  Wendy quilted this all over rose pattern.  I wanted the machine quilting to fill in the open space.  I used this coral key print for the border but had to limit my the size due to the size of my backing fabric.  Whitney and Shelbie helped me lay the blocks out on the living room floor to get a nice mix of color and pattern.
The centers of the blocks are navy, again to go with the theme of the room, and the prints were fat quarters I had in my stash or ones I picked-up for this project.  Later I thought the "t" could stand for Tracey.  I was amazed at how much of the tan I needed and ended up having to order fabric 3 times.  It was a big quilt but I'm very happy with it and hope they are as well.  This Christmas gift will last a long time to come and hopefully remind them of home.

-nanette

PS - We've all had the flu at my house.  So it has been tough getting back into the swing of things but I think I'm finally on the mend.

You Might Also Like

29 comments

Popular Posts