V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N in the summer time

29 comments
We're back. We've been off having fun in the mountains of Idaho/Wyoming. That may not sound very impressive but we have been having a great time in a beautiful valley. I used the dealyed post feature in blogger to make a couple posts while I was gone.
Anyway, we were guests at a private 850+ ranch with family.

This is the view from the cabin we stayed in. The weather was great - warm and sunny in the day and cool at night.

We rode horses.


We canoed and swam in the lake. The water was super cold. It is fed by a spring that comes from a glacier. But the cold didn't stop us. Dave is in the water and Laurie, Mason and Jamie are in the canoe.

We fished. Here is Mason holding one of the smaller trouts he caught with his uncle.


We enjoyed the local wildlife. This is a moth!


We had lots of fun time with family. From left to right is my sister Michelle, niece Melanie, daughter Shelbie (showing her newly finished green knitted sweater) and Ellie holding one of the baskets I made and brought up to give as gifts. Michelle is holding one too.


Right before we left I picked up my Merry go Round quilt from the quilter to take along and bind. It was fun to stitch the binding and work on my Parcheesi blocks while we sat in the shade. Here is the finished quilt with the sun setting in the background.

When we got home Laura brought over welcome home cupcakes. They are delicious piƱa colada cupcakes and reminded me of the relaxing time we had on the vacation. By the way, check out the new layout on Laura's blog and my favorite cookie recipe that she makes. Also, Laura took pictures and commentary of our last quilt group meeting that I missed while I was gone. Laura gave a presentation at our last meeting on "Beyond Quilts". Sorry I missed that. But she did a good job of keeping me up on show-n-tell. Thanks Laura! You did a great job.

More on our vacation later. We did some fun crafts, too, and I'll show pics of what we made. A great time was had by all. Thanks Michelle and Brent. We couldn't have had more fun.

I've got an awful lot of catching up to do. It looks like my google reader is full of fun things from my favorite blogs and I've got e-mails to read and respond to. So more later.

-nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

29 comments

Cathi said...

I cannot believe the size of that moth!! Yikes!
What a gorgeous place you were on your vacation! Looks like absolute heaven and totally peaceful. Heavenly.

Nedra said...

Welcome back! I just got back last night too. Isn't vacation wonderful? Still- it's always nice to come home, don't you think?--Nedra

May Britt said...

Welcome back home. Looks like you have been at a wonderful place. vacation on a ranch must be fun.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Great pictures!! I love the one of your quilt!! That would make a great postcard.

Eileen said...

What an awesome place! So big and open and full of fresh air!
Looks like everyone was enjoying each moment. I'm glad you had a chance to sit and work on your stuff.. the finished quilt looks wonderful!
You do have lots to catch up on.. so go get busy. :-D

Abby and Stephanie said...

Beautiful setting; that's my kind of vacation! That is an amazing picture of your quilt...it could be in a book or the picture for a pattern!

jacquie said...

looks like a fabulous vacation and what a great setting to show off your quilt. amazingly beautiful!

Karen said...

Looks like an amazing place you were at - beautiful country, but the size of that moth, YIKES. Your time with family sounded like lots of fun and love your quilt to. OK so can't wait to see what other things you did while away. Your always inspiring.

Hugs- Karen

Lily Boot said...

Oh that Merry Go Round quilt is beautiful Nanette - was the binding tricky to sew on? and what a lovely place to have a holiday. Glad you had a lovely time.

MichelleB said...

Sounds like you had a great time. The Merry Go Round quilt is wonderful. How did you end up having it quilted?

Darlene said...

Welcome home - you've been missed!

A wonderful vacation, indeed. A good time had by all.

Trisha said...

Wow, what a gorgeous place to visit. I can't believe that moth! I love Shelby's sweater and your quilt is wonderful! Glad you had such a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful setting for a vacation, looks wonderful. Gorgeous photo of a gorgeous quilt. I agree with Jane it would make a fantastic postcard.

Donna said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation. Your quilt looks great in that background.

Gayle said...

Where in WY did you go? My son has just discovered the Thayne area and says it's wonderful - we'll have to check it out sometime - I just thought maybe it was where you went too. Your quilt turned out beautifully!

Thimbleanna said...

May not sound very impressive??? I think it sounds awesome! It looks like you had a great time and even got some sewing done. That merry-go-round quilt is just adorable!!!

Ginger Patches said...

Welcome home!! Looks like you had a wonderful time in beautiful surroundings!! I did not know about the delayed post feature...neat! I love-love-love your merry-go-round quilt!!!!

jen duncan said...

It looks like a wonderful place to be. And that quilt in the sunset couldn't look more perfect. Love it!

CJ said...

Yeah the moth kinda freaks me out too. More like a BAT! Are you SURE that isn't Montana, cuz the sky sure looks BIG! :D What a cool place to take time to relax and reconnect with family. Your quilt looks sooo cool photographed that way. Did you go horseback riding and canoeing as well?? Feel free to share more pictures.
I'm glad that you are home again and back to bloggin'.

Lisa said...

Looks like you had fun! We went to Wyoming for part of our honeymoon but our car died in Teton Natl Park...oy! Is the binding hard to do on the merrygoround quilt? I have the pattern.

Happy Zombie said...

What a dreamy vacation!

I'm in such awe of the MRG photo. I love the quilt, I love the photo! WOWIE ZOWIE!!!!

Anonymous said...

cute cupcake

Pat said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I love it!

sewtakeahike said...

Hi Nanette, your vacation photos are stirring me up!!! It looks like you had a wonderful time and the peace just shines through in your photos. You are a quilt makin machine! Your new quilt in this post and your dress quilt are just gorgeous. I still need to get the baby quilt I made quilted and bound. soon!

Rachel said...

The Parcheesi quilt is gorgeous! I haven't seen that block pattern before but I like it a LOT!

Amanda Jean said...

I love love LOVE the merry go round quilt. it's amazing!!!!! the photo is fantastic as well.

*karendianne. said...

The finished quilt with the sun in the background is really neat.

What a great place to vacation. I can smell the cool morning mountain air.

Healthy to Breathe in Love, *karendianne.

Beth at Aunties said...

Your merry go round quilt is beautiful! Especially with the background of the mountains and valleys of our home turf while growing up and where we have spent many vacations of our own. It makes me homesick.
The colors are beautiful. I saw on Ulla's blog that you finished another quilt and had to dash over to peak. I have been a silent peaker... and admirer of your talents for a while... Once again a beauty was created!
Beth