What I did I do while I watched the Olympics?

20 comments
My family and I have enjoyed watching the highlights from the Olympics just like everyone in America. I have a hard time just watching TV without something in my hands. So I've been working on a couple projects.

I posted this picture from a magazine a few weeks ago as the plan to update my mauve couch from nearly 18 years ago. Yes I said mauve and yes I said nearly 18 years ago. Hey. It's an 8 way hand tied custom couch and its in really great shape except for the gum on one cushion and a few wear marks. It's been in the living room and it doesn't get used that much. If I was really brave like Camille, I'd recover it in red with white dots but I'm too afraid of the upholstering process at this point. Have you seen that red chair of Camille's? Wow. Now that would look fantastic in my house.
So here is the fabric for the quilt for the bottom cushion of the couch - like in the picture. The dot fabric is the quilt back. I took the fabric to the machine quilter last week and hopefully by the end of the week I'll have it back. I'll still have to scallop the edges and bind it then. But I think that will be fun.

I made my own version of the cushion on the back of the couch. It was harder that you'd think. I layered 6 pieces of 80/20 batting and tried to cut them the same size as I cut the fabric for the cushion. I had to try stuffing and re-cutting 3 times before I got it sorta right. That was a pain. I wanted it kind of flat and not too overstuffed/puffy. It turned out ok and its comfortable to sit against.

I used a contrast fabric for the buttons - home dec weight. Its a heavier sateen fabric from Amy Butler called August Fields. I thought I could make pillows or something with it or accent in another part of the room with the fabric.

Then I also made a pillow. I wanted to make an eye catching pillow but not quite as busy as the one in the picture. I want to use punches of red in this room despite the mauve. The back of the pillow and one of the reds is cotten velvet. I thought it would be fun to have some texture and I love the cotton velvet.
For some reason the yellow, red and the blue aren't too bad with the mauve since you'll still see that mauve peaking out from the bottom, arms and top of the couch. I can't wait to get the quilt done and see how it looks with the quilt over the cushions. I need better lighting when I take my next picture.
I've also been working on more dress blocks. I'm making a baby sized version of the quilt to use as an alternative view for the new pattern. This orange dress from vintage fabric is one of my favorites. I have to say I do not get tired of appliqueing dresses.

So what did you do while watching the Olympics this past week or so?

-nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

20 comments

CJ said...

My heart goes pitter patter when I sees that HB POP! Especially THAT rose fabric. You are just so creative and BUSY.WOWEEE Girl! When I watch the Olympics I ummm, errr well I watch the Olympics. :S
My sewing room is far away from the tv room and at this point I don't have any handwork to 'practice' on. Sheesh, I have gotten NOTHING done in two days it is tooooo blazing hot in my sewing room. I can't WAIT to see this couch finished.

Three Birds Inspired said...

I am desperate to upholster my living room wing chair but I still cannot get up the courage! During the Olympics I have knitted 12 dishcloths. I am passing them out at the office...

Purple and Paisley said...

oh, the couch redo is going to be fabulous! and i'm embarrassed to admit that i only ate double stuff oreos dunked in milk while watching the olympics...=)...athletes make me tired and hungry!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Can't wait to see it all put together. The dresses are darling, naturally. And I wish I could find an awesome machine quilter that could turn projects around in less than 8 weeks!!! I channel flipped during the Olympics..by time it starts at 8 o'clock and the good stuff comes on after 10 o'clock...I've fallen asleep.

Diana Banana said...

During the Olympics I've been working on "Celebrate the Seasons" by Bird Brain Designs. (embroidery) I'm the same way .... can't watch TV unless my hands are busy.

Darlene said...

The couch is going to be stunning! :-)

Oh, I can hardly wait for your dress pattern! Everytime I see I see one of the dresses I get more and more excited! teehee - see it makes me giggle, too.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Nanette! You're so brave! My living room couch also has some blue and mauve in it and rarely gets used. I figure if I just wait another 20 years and don't go in that room, it will come back in style LOL. Your couch is going to be adorable. When I'm watching the olympics, I'm reading blogs LOL!

em's scrapbag said...

I can't wait to see your room when you are done. It's coming together nicely. Durring the Olympics I've bond a quilt and cut our applique shapes for my family reunion quilt.

jen duncan said...

You are off to a fabulous start, Nanette! You made me love that new Heather Bailey fabric in one of your recent posts that I went and bought a fat quarter in each of her 64 new designs! Oh my...very likely my biggest impulse buy to date~

Eileen said...

I would not have thought to put the red with the mauve, but you're right, it really does look nice. Great job on the cushion. Looks professional. I do know reupholstering is not easy. But your project is looking good!

Love the fabrics you are using in those dress patches. :-D What nice placing of that scallop! Very very Nanette.

Nedra said...

Several years back Judi Sears made slip covers for an old couch of mine. What work! You did a fantastic job! I love the fabrics.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! You are so talented also. I love what you have done. I will be calling you when I re-do my living room.

Jana Nielson said...

I've gotten SO much handwork done during the games!!
I can't wait to see the couch when it is done. I love recovering things!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Must admit, I haven't really watched much of the games until some of the gymnastics aired. However, it's been on "in the background" since they started and so I can cook, sew, be at the computer and still hear it.
My couch is 23 years old and just won't die. I guess I will have to make a slipcover or cover it with coordinating pillows as it seems to want to last forever.
I love your dresses and am also one who is looking forward to your pattern. I need to get going on your flag pattern so that I can display it on our front porch on Labor Day weekend!

Anna M. said...

I can't wait to see your finished couch - it's looking great so far! Also, I LOVE your dress blocks...they are so cute! I've been making TONS of yo-yo's for a baby quilt I'm making while I watch the Olympics. =)

Joanna said...

Okay, so I am eternally grateful to you for posting this, because I have been dying to recover my couches for about 6 months, and am too afraid to purchase the $500 worth of home dec fabrics it would require. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for showing me that I can recover it with a cute cushion and a quilt, and that it is so simple!

As for what I did during the olympics, I've been quilting and stitching and making patterns. I, too, have a hard time just sitting doing nothing.

erica e said...

i love what you are doing with your couch. what a good example of using what you've got and making do.
i can't wait to see your aqua quilt finsihed and put on the couch. i love it.

Jill said...

Would you beleive (gasp!) I live in a place without TV?? The only Olympics I see are the one's on Yahoo's homepage!!!! But I can't stand to sit still either,always working on something!! I love what you're doing with your couch!! Love the colors & can't wait to see the finished project!!! Those appliqued dress blocks are the cutest & I never get tired of seeing them!! I bought a pkg. of the Bee's knee's sweet 16's-any good,simple quilt patterns for them you know of? I want to make the most efficient use of the fabrics.

alobsiger said...

Can't wait to see the finished couch--it's going to be soooooooo pretty! Um, to be perfectly honest, when the Olympics were on, I was, um, watching Michael Phelps... :-)

Unknown said...

is that dress quilt another one of your patterns nannette? it's very cute. i'm working on your bird quilt as i type!! well, i WAS and i will be again in justasec!!!
brigette