Yippee - Stuff in the Mail

24 comments
Well July is now a memory and school starts in less than 2 weeks here. So yeah my frugal bit is over with for a bit. School fees, school clothes, etc - its that time of year. So I'm not going to be the only one without something new, right? I did buy a little fabric for moi. But I have a couple new projects to interject into my quilt making and pattern writing.

Here is my little package that arrived today from Quilt Taffy in Idaho. I love those girls. They have great stuff and such a fun blog.

Here is a pattern I've been wanting and 2 pieces of fabric that I'm going to use to spruce up my living room.They are from different lines but I like to mix it up. I think they look great together. The colors and patterns are so darling (yep Joanna, I said darling). I can't wait to have fun with them.


My sister Teri let me borrow a magazine with fabric ideas in it. This picture (above) inside the magazine totally captivated me. Instead of a slipcover for my tired 80's couch (I'm afraid to make a slipcover and have been putting it off) I think I'll do this! Its just a quilt made from a pretty piece of blue fabric and a huge pillow to fit snugly in along the back of the couch. I'll make a few throw pillows but not quite like the ones shown. I think this is a really fresh way to hide a tired couch that still has great structure. So I'm going to use the blue one above for the bottom piece and the great Pop Garden rose print for the pillow. I love the contrast of the two, like in the magazine.


Then I got opened a package from Jen Duncan. It was wrapped so cute I hated to open it. I won a little giveaway at Jen's blog. Thank you Jen! Jen inspires me.

And this was in the package - Marie Claire Ideas. I love this magazine. My subscription ran out a bit ago but thanks to Jen I got the latest edition. It will be fun to relax and read in bed. Well, read is not really what I do with it since I don't speak French, but the pictures say it all anyway.


And last, but certainly NOT least a very sweet "pal" sent me a secret gift. I love it and I'm dreaming of what to do with it. When I opened the package I let out a little scream. Its so cute its happiness. Thank you!!!!

And all of these little items are sitting on some fabric I adore and can't wait to use, too. Oh yeah, I got that last month. It was a stash buy. Sorry but I had to have it. I think I'm slowly turning into a blue person. Weird for me.

Anyway its all fun stuff. And I've decided on a name for my dresses quilt - more on that another day. Thank you all for your sweet and thoughtful comments!! I was very humbled by your compliments for that quilt. Thank you so much. I just dropped it off to be hung in our local quilt show this weekend.

-nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

24 comments

Nedra said...

I loved your couch idea. I'm really curious to see what you do with yours. Make sure to take pictures and share with us!

Anonymous said...

Our 80's couch could also use a slipcover but if I do that I will never get a new couch! We bought the couch/davenport, plus loveseat, matching chair and footstool at Levitz in the 80's and I believe it is indestructible!! :-) I am going to make some throw pillows that will give it a bit of an updated look although how can one hide the 80's?!!

Joanna said...

Oh yes your new acquisitions are just 'darling' LOL!!! And I especially think the apron pattern is 'darling' - why you say? Because I bought that exact same one at the Quilt Fair in Provo when I was there!! Are you going to make it? Do you know what fabric/s you'll use?

I love the combo of the ones for your couch. LOVE them! So darling hehe!

Happy Zombie said...

That's some great loot you've got there! I'm ooing and ahhing over your Heather Bailey fabric. I have some on pre-oder at her new shop. I'm a sucker for a discount... even though it means waiting until mid-August. I'll just keep looking at your until mines comes.

You and Pam... I could just follow you guys into any quilt shop and say, "I'll have what she's having"!

Unknown said...

Definately gorgeous mail. Love your couch idea and with such vibrant fabrics. Looking forward to seeing the completed new couch. Congratulations on all the good things that are happening in your little hive, very exciting.

Des said...

i wish i had an old couch just so I could be like YOU!! so cool. Can't wait for those pictures!! I don't even have any new fabric from those lines yet, either! What is wrong with this picture??

Cathie in UT said...

First of all your little dresses quilt turned out so wonderful...can I say "darling" too? LOL
Wren was telling me all about when we went to The Springville show this week.
Funny thing about your couch picture...I think the rose print on the back is the same thing that is in my living room? A Waveryly print from a few years ago and they still have it out I think! LOL. I am thinking of buying some covers for my LR furnature but like your idea a lot!
Loved all your goodies lucky girl with mail today!

Celia said...

Oh, I love that Pop garden fabric! I have bought the same but in green color to make a dress for my baby girl and me the same. I think it will look nice, lol...
I'll keep an eye in your blog to check your new couch!

Darlene said...

Just one word for this posting - YUMMY! LOL

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the magazine photo. Oh how I'd love to re-do a room. BEAUTIFUL fabrics!!! Don't you just love snail mail.

Susan said...

What beautiful fabric to use with that inspiration picture--keep us posted with your project, please. Hummm, has me thinking what to do with my old but still in great condition couch that looks just like the one in the old Cosby show--remember their living room couch, well, that's mine.

Anonymous said...

I totally want to go to this quilt show. Where is it?

em's scrapbag said...

I love the decorating ideas. I have been redoing my decor since our remodle. This gives me inspriation.

Corrie said...

I love what you're going to do with the fabric! (glad you received it) And your quilt from yesterday was fabulous!

Cathi said...

What incredible mail to get!
I love the idea for a face lift for an aging couch. The fabrics you're going to use are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

You've got fun mail! I can't wait to see the redo of the couch.

Joyce said...

I have been using quilts on my couch for quite awhile. I have dogs that think they are people so I don't mind washing my quilts so I use them as a cover. Everyone thinks I just might love my dogs a bit too much. Since I let them chew a whole in my quilt and didn't get angry!
Love your blog!

Caesar Beezer The Wonder Dog said...

Your dress quilt is just the cutest thing I've seen EVER! I love it! And I love the fun fabrics you bought for your living room - it will be bright and cheery and fun to be in...I made a slip cover - it was easier than I thought...I just laid the fabric on the sofa and cut around it, leaving a seam allowance and then ran right the the machine and sewed it up...each bit I did like this and it came together in no time! Thanks for the inspiration! The other Nanette

Eileen said...

This is such a happy post. :-) Somehow I missed it!

sewtakeahike said...

Hi Nanette, I was just in an Anthropolgie store today and your fabrics and idea look so much like the things they sell! I loved everything in that store. Very fashionable and different with lots of color. I had to laugh about your comment of becoming a blue person, I always was a green person but now just about any color will do (especially aqua blue)

Rachel said...

Great idea for the couch! And the Pop Garden fabric is lovely... I just ordered some from that line (Peonies in Ivory) for curtains in my daughter's room.

Amanda Jean said...

I can not wait to see your couch re-do!!!

Ginger Patches said...

OH I love that room in the magazine...what magazine is that? Love all your goodies :)

CJ said...

I have to agree with you, Quilt Taffy is great and those gals are a HOOT! I secretly pretend they are my long lost sisters. In fact Corrie and I have the same birthday (never mind that it is a decade or so apart ;) ) LOVE the fabric you got and really love what you are going to do with it! Make sure that you share photos when all is said and done.
What fabric are you using for the apron??