Vacation crafts

22 comments
When we downloaded all the pictures from our cameras I realized even though we took a lot of pictures, we missed some things. I guess that's just the way it always goes.

Here is a group photo of some of our crafts we made. There are lavender sachets and pincushions from little vintage planters. I got the idea for the pincushions from Pam. I think it was July 2006 she posted about some pincushion planters she made. I tried to link to that post but for some reason it wouldn't (maybe too old?). If you search her site for pin cushions you can see hers.
This is my sister Michelle modeling her pig pin cushion. It turned out darling. The cushion part has a yo yo with a button on top. It sets the whole thing off so cute.

This is my sister Paula crocheting around a lavender sachet. My grandniece Sydney is watching and helping.
This is one I made from a vintage egg cup. My kids thought I should make her hair blue like Marge Simpson but I didn't have that color wool. I used a yo yo and button to give her a jaunty look with some small rick rack around the edge.
This is at an angle so you can't see the other side well. But there were 2 holes in the sides of the house to put pin cushions in. We used felted wool and pink rick rack on this one. Again, not a great picture.


I think Michelle made this sachet. Instead of crocheting around it we used pinking shears to give it an edge and the button holds the rick rack in place so it can be hung in a closet. One mistake we made was adding lavender oil to the sachets. It made them WAY too strong. The fresh dried lavender buds would have been enough I think.

I missed pictures of the trivets we made and some of the other pin cushions and sachets. Oh well. They were all darling. They were fun projects to do together.

My kids were tempted to give these wooden bees on the table of our cabin another home - ours. And they wanted me to be sure to take a picture for our "hive" blog. I think they are candle holders. But the size of them reminded me of the huge moth we found. So at one point I wondered if they were realistic!

It was such a good time. Here some of the kids are playing cards after a day in the sun. I don't think anyone escaped a sunburn.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

22 comments

Jeanne said...

Love the cute pincushions. So creative! The bees are too funny.

Darlene said...

Adorable pincushions! Lots of fun and creative projects. The bees are funny.

Cathi said...

Love the pincushions -- although my favourite has to be the blue house. The bees are -- well, interesting. Don't think I'd want them in my home! LOL

Three Birds Inspired said...

Such cute pincushions! My son has some of those vintage planters. I need to request one!!

Purple and Paisley said...

love your vintage egg cup pin cushion! it looks beautiful where you were...i'm so happy you had a nice vacation...i'm still tired and cannot get motivated to do anything...how about you?????

Des said...

I am telling ya....great minds think alike. I saw those cute vintage planter pin cushions on happy zombie (that pam had made) and have been searching for a planter ever since. Guess what?? Ifound the cutest ELEPHANT ever. Wasn't quite sure how to fill it or make it cute. I will have to go search pam's now. You're the best! brilliant! Your crafts are darling!

Happy Zombie said...

The house pincushion is just too stinkin' adorable!!!

Nedra said...

Loved your pincushions. When I was at Piecemakers on vacation I bought a vintage shelf just to put pincushions on. Where do you put them all?

Eileen said...

I know what you mean about now taking enough pictures. I did the same thing when I got home from the quilt auction.. i thought ot myself..'Where is the picture of that darling wedding ring quilt? And the one of the sales table piled high?"..etc etc. Turned out I must not have taken any.
I want that house planter!! Ok.. if I would have realized this was the thing right now.. I would have been grabbing all the planters I could find. I know a place to get them!

PamKittyMorning said...

Gosh those turned out cute. I love that one in the egg cup! You're so clever!

And those bee's crack me up, they're HUGE!!

em's scrapbag said...

Fun, fun pincushions. Looks like you kept busy and had a great time.

MichelleB said...

Adorable pin cushions! Vacationing and crafting - that sounds like my kind of vacation.

Diane said...

Love those pincushions. What a great idea!

Lily Boot said...

what a great way to use old china! Very very pretty! I'm inspired.

Anonymous said...

How creative. Great projects and a pleasure to browse your fun photos.

Karen said...

Cute cute cute projects - my favorite one is the egg cup pincushion - that is a cutie..

Hugs - Karen

quiltingnana said...

love the bees...always enjoy your photos

Anonymous said...

I have a plastic storage box full of containers that I use for pincushions. I can't pass up a thrift shop without looking to see if there is some little thing that will make a cute pincushion. Have about eight of them that I need to finish as gifts for friends. I have never seen anything quite so unique as those bee candleholders. If they were real they would have quite a buzz1

Thimbleanna said...

Those pincushions are adorable! And the bees -- you need to find some of those!!!

Ginger Patches said...

Adorable pincushions...so the whole family is crafty huh? How fun to have a great family vacation and still get to do some crafting too!

Anonymous said...

http://gwb-chinese.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Such cute pincushions!

http://www.chinesepal.cn/first/learn-chinese/index.htm