Tracey and Eliot's Christmas Gift

29 comments
Between 12/19 and 12/23 I bound 2 quilts.  One was the Christmas quilt I showed in the last post and the other one was a huge (103"x108") quilt for my daughter Tracey and her husband Eliot.  Needless to say I had cracked and very sore fingertips.  But it was well worth it.
Tracey and Eliot live in Tulsa and recently purchased their first home.  They were here for Christmas with us (fun).  We mailed the quilt to them after the holidays.  Tracey washed and dried it to get it all soft for their bed.  I think it looks great.  Apparently their cat likes it, too.  I really like the drop on the sides so I'm glad it ended up being that size.
I was going for a "vintage modern" look with the quilt keeping with the colors of their bedroom.  Wendy quilted this all over rose pattern.  I wanted the machine quilting to fill in the open space.  I used this coral key print for the border but had to limit my the size due to the size of my backing fabric.  Whitney and Shelbie helped me lay the blocks out on the living room floor to get a nice mix of color and pattern.
The centers of the blocks are navy, again to go with the theme of the room, and the prints were fat quarters I had in my stash or ones I picked-up for this project.  Later I thought the "t" could stand for Tracey.  I was amazed at how much of the tan I needed and ended up having to order fabric 3 times.  It was a big quilt but I'm very happy with it and hope they are as well.  This Christmas gift will last a long time to come and hopefully remind them of home.

-nanette

PS - We've all had the flu at my house.  So it has been tough getting back into the swing of things but I think I'm finally on the mend.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

29 comments

busyascanbe said...

Looks beautiful! You did an amazing job?

busyascanbe said...

Not? It should be !!!

SandyQuilts said...

Beautiful. You should post it over at Facebooks Modern Quilting at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/modernquilting/

•stephanie• said...

such a fantastic quilt.
sorry about the flu.
we've had it too.
not so happy new year!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a beautiful gift Nanette! And huge - such a nice size for their bed.

Darlene said...

It's beautiful, Nanette. They will enjoy it for years to come.

Feel better soon.

Cheryl said...

Such a wonderful quilt...so pretty on their bed. We haved had that flu crud too...hope you ar better!

Lynn said...

Wow! I love this one. You really did achieve a vintage modern look well. I like that it is going to obviously be used and loved, and a reminder of home (and Mom).
No flu here, eeek, I just jinxed myself.

Linda Ruthie said...

It's a wonderful quilt. I love the colors.
I hope you're all feeling better vey soon.

Nedra said...

Very cute quilt, Nanette. A treasure for a young couple just starting out. I know it will be cherished for years to come.
And I hope you are feeling better soon. It seems like everyone I know got sick right after Christmas.

AnnieO said...

Gorgeous! I'm sure they were thrilled to get it into their room and cozy up under it. You need to learn to machine stitch bindings :) Hope you are all getting back to normal soon.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Nanette -- Great Finish! I'll bet they love it! Happy New Year -- I can't wait to see all your fun projects this year!

quiltmom anna said...

It is a wonderful quilt Nanette- I think the background is terrific and lets all the T's shine.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful work- Hope that you are soon on the mend- There seems to be a lot of flu everywhere.
Regards from Western Canada,
Anna

Christine said...

Awesome quilt, Nanette ... your daughter must be thrilled. Hope you are feeling better ... flu is a horrible thing!

Michele said...

I love it! Glad you're feeling better.

circle r motel said...

I love the simpleness of the quilt with the plain background and the busy border! Perfect! Our children are so blessed to have mothers who quilt!!! LOL.

hetty said...

Hope you're feeling better. Gorgeous quilt! So simple, yet so effective!

dream quilt create said...

Your quilt is beautiful and it is truly a work of love! I hope you are all feeling better soon:)

Stacy Lindblom said...

That's a really beautiful quilt!

Cindy's Stitching said...

beautiful. What a nice gift. There is nothing like a homemade quilt. i am sure the will treasure it.

pratima said...

It is beautiful, Nanette! Turned out just like you envisioned, it has a modern vintage feel to it.
Sorry about the flu. Hope you are feeling better.
Wish you a very happy, healthy and peaceful New Year!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Great job, Nanette! What a sweet reminder of home you've made for them. It is just gorgeous. Sorry about the uckiness. Hope you are all well soon.

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

The quilt turned out fabulously, Nanette! Lots of work, but something they'll treasure always. Glad you got to see the kids for Christmas! Be well!!

Corrie said...

What a wonderful gift. We're trying to get over the flu too...it continues on. happy new year!

PamKittyMorning said...

Gosh I love how this turned out. So cute. I love following along with you and your family.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a beautiful quilt! It has a vintage and modern look all at the same time!! Lovely gift and a real treasure!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Gorgeous quilt!

Hope you are all on the mend now.

Karen H said...

Hi - just wondering if you used a certain pattern for this quilt or if you came up with it on your own? I love it - and would like to make one like it. Thanks!

Karen H said...

Hi, just me again... After looking at your lovely quilt here again, I realized how you did this.... it is lovely.....Thanks!