Block #6 Jelly Roll-a-Long from Freda's Hive

18 comments
Today is Freda's Hive's turn to add a block to the Jelly Roll-A-Long project that Konda from Moose on the Porch Quilts asked me to be part of with her and other bloggers/quilt designers. This has been such a wonderful project for quilters of all levels. It is fast and easy and a great way to use a jelly roll or stash strips. It isn't too late to join us. You can find my post at Konda's Blog. Go over and take a look at it. I also thought I'd post the block instructions here on my blog, too.
You will use 3 different prints from your jelly roll. Lets call them prints A B and C and also you will use a background fabric. Plus!! A fun novelty fabric or fabric to fussy cut the center square in this block.

Cutting:
Cut 1 strip from 2 different prints (fabric A and B) in your jelly roll 2 1/2" x 10"
From the same fabrics cut 2 strips 1 1/2" x 10 1/2" (fabric A) and 2 strips from 1 1/2" x 12 1/2" (fabric B)
Cut 2 strips from your background fabric 2 1/2" x 10"
Cut 4 strips (fabric C) 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Cut 1 square 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" for the fussy cut center. You can use a different fabric from your jelly roll or choose a novelty or print from your stash that would coordinate. Pick something fun to make the finished block 'pop'. Below I listed some ideas of things I cut to pick from for my own block.Construction:
1. Join lengthwise together fabric A and background fabric strip. Then join fabric B and background fabric lengthwise (2 1/2" x 10" strips).
2. Cut joined strips into 2 1/2" sections x 4.
3. Stitch together to make 4 -four patch blocks to be set in each corner of the block.
4. Piece together a 4 patch with fabric B, a 4 1/2" strip of fabric C, and a 4 patch from fabric A.
5. Stitch together a strip of fabric C, the fussy cut block, and then another strip of fabric C.
6. Piece together a 4 patch with fabric A, a 4 1/2" strip of fabric C and then a patch with fabric B.
7. Join steps 4, 5, and 6 together to make the body of the block.
8. Use the 1 1/2" strips to border the block stitching fabric A to the sides of the block and fabric B to the top and bottom of the block.
9. Finish, press and admire.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

18 comments

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Does your blog look different? I popped in to see your fab jelly roll block and think your header might be new. If it is, it's gorgeous. If it's not new, well it's still gorgeous!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

I love your block!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I love the fussy cut centers in your block. I've done that on a couple of the other blocks so am glad to be able to use that on your block. My blocks are cut and laying on my sewing table. One of these days, I'll actually get to the sewing part. LOL!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Love your block and cannot wait to make it!

Lori Holt said...

Nanette...
I love it!
So sweet and simple...and of course it's the fabric that really makes it special.
I hope you had a lovely Mothers Day!
x
lori

strawberrycream39 said...

Oh so pretty! Sweet and cute too! Great instructions.

Annette said...

Your block is so sweet! I could see this as a whole darling quilt. I always, love, love, love your fabrics.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Of course I love the teapot in the center.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love the block Nanette! I hope I can find the appropriate center block!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, wow, Nanette, I can see this growing into a quilt all by itself (with many more just like it, of course). It is a beautiful block! Thank you.

Nedra said...

Would you believe I haven't started my Jelly Roll Quilt along blocks yet? This is the week! I love how you fussy cut the blocks. I still insist you are the fussy cut queen. I will be following your lead.

Pat said...

Will be away for a few days so will make this when I come back. I like it!!!

dokiquilts said...

oh i knew i would like your block--what a great one--thanks! have you ever made a whole quilt with that block? please show if you have!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! Love the happy fabrics.

julieQ said...

Looks great to me!! Thank you for doing this for all of us.

pratima said...

Nanette, your blocks are so delightful! The teapot is very cute and the colors are so beautiful :)

Janet said...

That's a great block for scraps too. Love the teapot of course.

Retrogirl said...

What a great block! Thanks so much for sharing your many talents.
Heather