All dressed up and no place to go . . .

18 comments
Yep, thats my bird blocks, all dressed up and no place to go.

I really am a finisher. My little box of ufos is not very big. But these blocks make me feel so guilty and keep staring at me and begging to be finished. I've been sewing the buttons on the eyes and all the outline stitching is done. I have resolved not to put my birdies away until I finish this quilt and write the pattern. I cannot for the life of me decide on border fabric and thus they remain on my table waiting patiently to be sewn together and come to life on a quilt.

I like this bird, and these birds - but not in pastels, and this cute bird in fabric would be just perfect. What I really want is blue bird novelty fabric. Ya know?
I have in my mind some very whimsical vintage bird fabric, truly vintage 50's, like something you'd see on a greeting card from the 50's. The birds have to be large enough to see from several feet away, so they can't be wee birds. I have several fabrics with birds but when I put them next to my quilt. It doesn't feel right.
I love Anne Sutton's fabric, but I think its too pretty for my "rough looking" birds. And the birds are quite small.
There are a few birds on this stamp fabric, but the scale is wrong. And the other fabric with little birds in blue, pink and yellow is too juvenile. I do love that fabric, though.
This is the fabric I was going to choose but from even just a few feet away it looks like a toile and the birds are lost in the trees. I do like it but . . . it just doesn't seem "right". Maybe if the trees were different color than the birds I would use it. But it all just blends together.

This is darling fabric but the birds say "its a boy" - not quite the message I want to convey.
You can see from this shot the scale is really off on all of them. Sigh. I haven't given up but I'm trying to consider other options for borders. I know, I know, I'm picky. Oh well. What do you think?
- nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

18 comments

Di~ said...

Of the fabrics you are auditioning, I like the one you said you think looks like toile. I actually really like it and think the scale is good. Otherwise, I think I would go out to search for a not too big or busy blue floral viney print.
~D Spack~

Di~ said...

Oh, the birds are awesome, really fabulous!!!
~D Spack~

marilynl said...

Oh my goodness! These birds are just so adorable. I'm sure you will find the perfect fabric. You really have a great sense of what works. It's out there somewhere.

PamKittyMorning said...

You have a gift for finding the perfect thing. What about a blue and green leaf print? Or maybe some kind of 30's geometric?

Joanna said...

I agree with D Spack. I love that blue birdie fabric, and I think it's cute. In fact, the first thing I noticed was the birds, until I read what you said about them disappearing into the trees. Your little birds are so cute!

Cheryl said...

Boy I love those birds and the brown rick rack is so cute with them :-)! I liked Pamkitty's idea of the 30's geometric!

Eileen said...

These birds are adorable. Hmm. If it were me.. I would be looking for something red. But that's just me. I'm sure you will find the perfect thing.

Unknown said...

Those birds are adorable. I can't wait to see a pattern. We are big on birds here in the woods of central Florida.

And I agree. Those fabrics are all fabulous in their own right but not quite for your purpose. Keep looking. You know you will find the right thing.

erica e said...

this is such a fun and adorable quilt! i'm excited to see what you find to finish it off with. i just love this pattern.

Darlene said...

I don't have any suggestions - sorry! Wait, wait, I do love the birds - they are absolutely adorable, Nanette. :-)

Sarah and Jack said...

I think that like PMK I would probably go with something geometric.

I assume you have seen alexander henry's bird seed fabrics? And how about those Etsuku Echino bird fabrics?

Thimbleanna said...

Boy, what a dilemma! Your bird blocks are just adorable. Of the fabrics you have, I'd definitely go with the toile as it carries the blue. But how 'bout just leaving the bird theme altogether for the border? Or perhaps scattering your own appliqued bird randomly on the borders? A lot of work, but isn't it fun to play?

Joanna said...

OK I have been doing some searching...have a look and see if anything feels right!

http://tinyurl.com/3gerqa
http://tinyurl.com/4q5guf
http://tinyurl.com/46z4xw
http://tinyurl.com/64kknn
http://tinyurl.com/465bpd
http://tinyurl.com/3e9npm
http://tinyurl.com/4uc3js
http://tinyurl.com/6by5jm
http://tinyurl.com/6chdfy
http://tinyurl.com/5odpn6

That should keep you busy for a while :)

Jeanne said...

The birds are so cute. I would go shopping for the perfect fabric. If you want to use from the ones you have shown, I would go with the one you think looks like toile. What a fun quilt.

Blakely said...

I'd keep looking. You will know the perfect fabric when you see it.

jennyflowerblue said...

Red and Geometric for me, something kind of 50's and scratchy-linear if you know what I mean? (not sure I do) The birds are ace and just need the right stuff to make them Sing!

Ginger Patches said...

Oh those birds are sooo cute! Remember those cute birds in the old snow white? That's what they make me think of. I wonder if there is a story book fabric out there with those cute little blue birds? Someday you'll find the perfect fabric and then you'll know why you waited...I've had that happen a few times...of course I've had it go the other way too--where I go ahead and finish something and THEN find the perfect fabric lol!

Jodi Nelson said...

I am totally loving all the things everyone is making with old sheets! How come I can't find some of these cool vintage sheets where I live? But I love them. And I LOVE your birds! The colors and fabrics and style made me think of the sheets i've been seeing used for quilts, and purses, and skirts! I think a cool vintage sheet with blue in it, would be the bomb!