Pretty Bitty Bird

17 comments
I have several new projects up and going right now but making this cute bird pincushion was a side project to just let me relax and take a break while focusing on something else for a bit.

I think the pink birdie turned out so cute. And I'm very happy with her. There is just a hint of pink in the cushion that draws in the the pink colors of the bird. She will look really cute in my sewing room.
I used Anne's Bunny Hill pattern called Bitty Bird Pincushion. The pattern was easy and fun and the directions well written. Mine isn't as perfect as Anne's of course. My wing placement is slightly off (my chalk dot disappeared during construction) but I'm really pleased with my outcome anyway. Anne is a great designer and wonderful person. I love her new fabric line just out. Because it has a similar name to her last line Miss Emma's Garden, I didn't realize there were 2 Emma's lines of fabric. Silly me. I'm going to make some tumbler baby quilts with the latest, Flowers for Miss Emma. The softer colors will be a strong contrast to my last tumbler baby quilts with Ginger Blossom above.

One of the best things was not having to buy anything (new) to make the little pincushion. I have a soft box (Natalie made me several for Christmas) that holds all my wool scraps. I just pulled what I had on hand to make the bird. Anne used beads for eyes and the centers of the flowers but I didn't have any beads so I substituted buttons and I think it worked out okay all in all.
Such a fun diversion! - nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

17 comments

Joanna said...

You have birds on the brain lately - in fact, may we call you bird-brained?? LOL! It's just gorgeous and I love that you used wool!

Thimbleanna said...

Pink birdie is so cute! I have that pattern too -- just need to make one -- hopefully before I drown in all the projects on my to do list!

Purple and Paisley said...

cute, cute, cute! i love it...been quilt shop shopping today! eek! write you tonight...=)

May Britt said...

Oh...your pincushion is soooo cute. It is always feeling good just to use fabric from the stash.

Robin said...

So very cute!

Stacy A. said...

Check you out, you just needed a little down time so you stitched together a beautiful bird cushion. I wouldn't be surprised if it did dishes and washed the floors too! You are one special woman. I was wondering if you ever ran into Anne Thane in all your quilting shenanigans? Glad you got to relax? a little today. Love Stacy

Eileen said...

A few of my favorite things! Birds, wool, teal and red..(I know you said pink, but she looks more on the red side to me.. and I like red), and pin cushions! :)
Very wonderful.

Tracey M. said...

okay i totally want one of these. not really even for sewing. i feel the cats would love a cute companion when i am not here and....
eh, we both know i want it for me and not the cats, very adorable.

Denise (Nour) said...

What a cute pin cushion...it turned out so well! Those fabric boxes are really neat too!

Unknown said...

I adore your newest creation! The pink bird is just wonderful!
-Emily

Jona Giammalva said...

That is simply darling!! I love the pink fabric!

Oiyi said...

The bird pin cushion is so pretty.

Kim Walus said...

Everyone should have such a darling bird pincushion, don't you think? People are so creative! Thanks, for sharing all of your cute projects. They're such an inspiration! Keep it up! ;-)

Jodi Nelson said...

I love Anne's birds! And your is so cute! I've been wanting to make some birds, but i have so many "want to do" projects I'm outta my mind! LOL. I also LOVE Anne Wood's birds. So adorable. Good job!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

OMG that birdie pincushion is adorable!!!! I love it!!!

Beata said...

I lo-o-o-o-ve the pink birdie!

sewtakeahike said...

I love your little birdie on her little tuffet!! It so reminds me of all the baby birds flying around right now. I have a huge window at work with a little garden area outside and a bird feeder, so all the babies will come and sit on their little tushes (adult birds stand on their feet) in the tree by the feeder waiting to be fed by mom and dad. I love this time of year!