Seeing Red

27 comments
As if I don't have enough to do, I started a scrap quilt.  Idiot.  I know.  But while I was waiting for quilts to be quilted I just couldn't stop myself.  Those red scraps and fatquarters have been tempting me for ages now.
I've been following the herringbone trend in clothes.  I guess herringbone is a follow-up to chevron, some would say.  Or maybe the same thing.  I've been looking at tutorials for herringbone quilts and decided I'd take ideas from 2 tutorials I really liked.  I armed myself with some pretzel sticks and cut strips in widths from 1.25" to 2.5".  Then I cut the strips into 11" lengths.  You can look at the two tutorials I blended from Rachel at Stitched in Color, and the other from Jess at SewCraftyJess.  
I opted to sew my strips in duos and then setting each pair back 1.5" from the edge of the previously sewn rows.  See above.  But remember, you have to make 2 sides going from left to right and the other from right to left.  Read the tutorials, they say it best.
I also opted not cut the ends off my strips at an angle like Rachel.  And I cut my strips in different widths  like Jess.  It took about 18 (give or take) strips to clear the ends of my 6"x24" ruler.  Then I made sure the ruler was set at the correct angle. Triming was very fun.
This is what the right and left side of the herringbone pattern look when set together. I will make 3 rows down and I'm not sure how many wide.  I like the fact that the different widths of the strips add to the scrappy look.  I pretty much stayed with a red and white theme.  Controlling the color helped control the chaos of widths and angles.

I started this quilt because I realized I have so many quilts that I don't put on beds because they are made from my original designs or special patterns.  I'm going to make this quilt in a large queen or king size and then use it on a bed in my home.  This quilt makes me feel like I'm getting back to my scrap roots.  I like that.

Meanwhile, this will sit in my sewing room and it will call to me while I make binding and bind 3 other quilts.  Busy busy.  My fingertips are not going to be pretty come Christmas Day.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

27 comments

Suburban Stitcher said...

Love it already! How can you not love a red quilt!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, how fun. And you'll have a great quilt to have out at Christmas time. I'd love to have enough Christmas quilts for each bed in the house. Have fun with your bindings -- sounds fun to me!

Darlene said...

Oh, I'm lovin' this one, Nanette. I hope you can steal away a few minutes every day to work on it.

Happy Holidays!

Nedra said...

A great way to use up scraps. And I like how you made your strips various widths, rather than try to match them in the centers.

circle r motel said...

Well, I set out my colors for the ornament "table topper". I printed the directions last night. Then, I'm also thinking of making the Civil War quilt like Pam is doing on Pam Kitty Morning only I have some Civil War repo fabrics so I'll use those. Five squares a month... I need to buy the book. Plus I have Bee in my Bonnet quilt too! I'm using up fabric though!!

Can't wait to see your red quilt when its done. My mom loves red too!

Hugs....

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Very pretty.

What an awesome idea to use up your scraps to make something beautiful.

Blessings always

•stephanie• said...

i've said it before and i'll say it again:

i love ANY color as long as it's red and white!

that quilt is going to be perfect. i hope you get a few minutes here and there to work on it. so so sooooooo cute!

merry christmas to you and your family!

AnnieO said...

I love red and white together and your scraps are wonderful! I am amazed, however, that the pretzel you armed yourself with could cut through all those seams :)

Lori Holt said...

Wow Nanette...I LOVE it!!!
Red and white is so perfect anytime and especially at Christmas:)
It's perfect:)
You know what I always say...scrappy=happy!!

Corrie said...

oooh, I like it. Take your time & enjoy the scraps!

John'aLee said...

What a fun project for the Holiday Season! LOVE those fabrics!

Marie said...

We do it to ourselves, don't we? What the heck - a girl's gotta have fun. This looks marvellous.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, Nanette, I LOVE it, but you know I love red, too! I like how you followed through on your idea and got pointers from others to help you bring it to life. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt! Good for you.

em's scrapbag said...

I heart your new scrappy red quilt. It will look great on your bed.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Ha ha.......just can't let those hands lay idle. ;-) This is going to very pretty. I am contemplating making a sampler quilt in all red and white. Haven't made up my mind yet, but your project has me seriously thinking red and white would be just right!

Lynn said...

Oooh I like this! I was going to try a similar pattern using paper piecing , but I may try this way instead.

Sheila said...

I love these blocks. They would make a nice rainbow quilt : )

Karen H said...

I love the red - these blocks will make a fantastic quilt!

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

I love this, Nanette! It's gonna be spectacular!! Hmmm... Wonder how it would look in feedsacks???

Deborah said...

Red and white = my favorite! This will be beautiful! Thanks for sharing how you adapted the tutorials.

jenny said...

Love those first two sentences. hee hee.

Quilt looks good too.

Sentimentally Me said...

Morning, Nannette!

PLease help spread the word on our scarf efforts for Newtown.

Knit? Crochet? Sew?? We are making scarves for the 80 staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown. Please visit www.sentimentallyme.blogspot.com for information, and read up on my own family's connection to Newtown.

Please help spread the word!

xo Patrice

PatSloan said...

oh my... something I need to try! I'm working on my scrap bins... just did one with a 'coin' theme.. this will be a super follow up ... strips strips.. who has the strips!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love the red herringbone Nanette! I have a scrappy red quilt in my future too! Merry Christmas.

Sinta Renee said...

Isn't it funny that we don't have a quilt for our beds? This scrappy will be so fun, and red is a must in the collection, don't you think? Merry Christmas!

Shari said...

love it

Alex said...

Awesome! I always wanted to try herringbone, but the old patterns I have say cut on a crazy angle before piecing. Knew there had to be a better way :) Thanks! --Ronni