Afternoon with Lori

29 comments
Lori Holt, local quilt designer and girl about town, and I had a fun afternoon together last week. From the moment we start talking til the time to say goodbye we laugh. We have so much in common and have such a fun time together I wish you could all be with us. You'd have a ball.
My photo of Lori and I together was totally blurry so I had to swipe this from Lori's blog. Not our best pose but don't let that fool you. We were having a great time.
Lori is amazing. She can do everything. Lori made me the best gift. See this sweet necklace above. It has my photo of me in my "Nanette" dress that my mom made me for Easter one year many years ago. I really cherish that photo. She couldn't have picked a better choice. Lori made herself a matching necklace with a photo of her as a little girl. She needs to show her necklace on her blog.
The back of my necklace charm has my "Freda's Hive" logo quilt picture on it. And then it is placed on the fabulous silver ball chain at the perfect length. Isn't that fantastic! I really love it. I have worn it non-stop and show it to everyone. Thank you Lori. I love it so much. We met for lunch at "Food for Thought" in Draper. It is a great little home town restaurant serving fresh food. We both had the butternut squash soup - so yummy. (By the way I took this photo of the restaurant during the summer.)After that we went to Nadine's Material Girls. Nadine always welcomes her customers with a smile and treats everyone like they are her friend. But when I'm with Lori, I feel like I'm family. It makes it more fun. Nadine has a blog, too, in case you didn't know.Here is my "take" from the trip to Material Girls. More on what is in the bag on Friday. It is so fun to shop with Lori. We are drawn to the same fabrics and ideas.
Next we went to Aunt Elsie's Trinkets and Treasures located just up from Material Girls on Redwood Road. Fun fun store. This is the inside of the front door. My photos were not wonderful so I missed some of the lovely treasures we saw.There was fabulous vintage jewelry. I wish I had Freda's stash of jewelry. I used to love to play in it when I was a girl.
I picked up a set of cups and saucers at a great sale price. These lovely floral dishes are perfect for a gift idea.
I want to make pincushion holders with the teacups and saucers. I know these are also cupcake holders but I'm trying to think what else could you put on top of these little plates that would be cute?

I told Lori we need to get together once a month and make it a date. If you happen to be in town and want to go along with us just let me know. You'll have a good time.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

29 comments

Trisha said...

Looks like you had a great day! A day out with a girl friend is always fun but throw in a quilt store and you've got a party!

Nedra said...

When Lori posted about your get together I told her I think you two must have been twins separated at birth. I can only imagine all the fun creative ideas you two would come up with when together. Next time I'm in town, I will call both of you for sure.

Rae Ann said...

What a fun day you two must have had! I would love to go on one of your little days out and just sit quietly and watch you two as your great ceative minds go to work. You both are fantastic designers and I always love the darling things you come up with! I can't wait to see what's in the bag for this week's Fabric Friday!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooohhhh Me Me Me!!! I'll call next time I'm there -- it looks like you two had a fabulous time. Love the darling little pendant Lori made you!

Jan said...

What a lovely day you gals had together and such wonderful stops along the way. I enjoyed traveling along :)

Annette said...

Your necklace is such an awesome treasure. Wow! So glad you had a fun day shopping together.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Looks like you had a really good time. It's wonderful to find someone "liked-minded" to hang with isn't it!

Abby said...

I love days like this - good food, friends, and fun!

My mom is on her way to Bountiful, UT (from Kansas) and I just checked and that is near your neck of the woods. Could you recommend some quilt stores in or really close to Bountiful?
Thanks!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh, it looks as if you girls had a wonderful time! I need a better peek into your fabric bag!
As for your necklace, so very special and it would never leave my neck either. How very kind!

Joanna said...

Nanette, I think I'll be back in UT next Summer, so you better not be kidding about the offer to come along on your 'date' - I'll hold you to it you know lol!!!

Kaaren said...

Sounds and looks like you had a blast. What fun and yes, you should try to get together once a month if for nothing else than to laugh and recharge your creative engines.

You seem to live right in the heart of the American quilt pocket, Nanette and I'm so envious.

Dawn said...

How fun!! I love the gifts both of you gave. There is nothing like sharing common interests with friends.

hetty said...

What fun! Going out with a friend who shares your interests and passions! Cute cup and saucer. I would love to see them made into a pincushion.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

What a fun day you had. I'd love to visit that quilt shop with you girls. Love the necklace. Very nice gift from Lori. Your right, she's very talented.

Joyce said...

What a fun day! Wow I would love to watch you two shop.. glad you left a few things in the store for the rest of us to buy! Ha Ha! Our "friend" has been at it again.. it is good to belong to the same club. Take care you are GREAT!

Janet said...

What a great day and fabulous stores! Isn't the necklace wonderful, what a treasure.

em's scrapbag said...

Sounds like a fabulous day. Love your necklace.

Lurline said...

This Post oozes fun and friendship - what could be better! How I wish I could meet up with you both! Your necklaces are wonderful!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Cheryl said...

What an absolutely perfect day..and such fun places to visit.

Pat said...

Oh...I'd love to be in your neck of the woods and go out for a day on the town to quilt shops and treasure shops with you and Lori. The necklace is WONDERFUL!!! And I like that cup and saucer you got, too.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

It would be a long drive, but someday I hope to meet you and we'll have a really good time. Would love to meet Lori, too. I need a road trip!!

Caesar Beezer The Wonder Dog said...

Sounds like the perfect day out! You and Lori are both darling - and shopping at Material Girls together must have been such fun! I made cup and saucer soap holders for my mom - she loves them in her bathrooms...just a thought! As usual, I'm so inspired reading through you last few posts...now time to get to work...I must catch up! xo, The Other Nanette

happy zombie said...

Nanette + Lori + Nadine... that's like having dessert for lunch! And breakfast. And dinner.

What a glorious day!!!

Micki said...

What a fun get together! It all looked wonderful!
Micki

Lori Holt said...

Hi Nanette...better late than never! I am so behind on my deadline for Tuesday's applique club, I havn't been doing any blog visiting...until now ...for a few minutes.
I have to laugh at our "mugshots" above...maybe nobody believes we were having fun!
Well, we were and thanks again for the fabric and my darling pincushion (aka friendship ring)...let's be BFF's!
Happy everything,
Lori

Vicki said...

Cute necklaces! I'm another one who will be out in Utah next summer; I'd love to shop with you!

Julia said...

Love the necklace..what a fun day you both had, it's great to have the same likes in fabric..Great shope you visited..
Julia ♥

Cathi said...

It looks as though you had a fabulous time! What lovely shops you visited!

Beth at Aunties said...

It looks like it was a fun time getting together and enjoying a girl ttime. The necklace looks like it will become a cherished gift with lots of sentiment. I adore Material girls...Oh, you were so close! Someday, I will grab Natalie and we will come meet you! :)
I haven't heard of the restaurant. It must be wonderful though and one I will ahve to check into!
Happy Thanksgiving!