Fast Fabric Friday

21 comments
I've got full day ahead of me and couldn't find the camera yesterday to post ahead. So I'll zoom through.
I've had this feedsack piece for several years. I love the whimsical birds, the colors and how the birds are positioned on the rough weave of the feedsack. I show this photo so you can see the slightly frayed feedsack edge. I also have this feedsack in a pastel colorway.
I have cut into it a bit (you can see through the fabric) fussy cutting the birds for different projects, but I've been using them sparingly.
Well much to my surprise, Andover fabric has come out with a line of fabric called Feedsack Melody by Gloria Leonard. And they used the image of my sweet little birds.
I've been through this before when I've had a feedsack and a mostly direct copy has been made. See the comparison above. My feedsack is on the left. The Andover birds are slightly bigger, slightly different in color and have the gold swirl. Of course I prefer my real feedsack birdies but I did purchase a fat quarter set of the Andover fabric. It is kind of bitter sweet for me. I like having yardage of my favorite feedsacks and I'm happy to see them come back to life but I kind of feel sad for the original fabric. Weird I know.
Some of the companion fabric I really like and some I don't. I like these first 3 fabrics but not some of the others very much.
I pulled out my Christmas stash. It is time to do some Christmas sewing. I took a little time off this week to start some sewing. I really didn't get much done though.

Today I'm off to meet with Lori Holt! I know. Lucky me! Baby Allison is coming over later today. And it is a very special birthday today - Laura, my friend and neighbor. Happy Birthday Laura. She is like me. She hates too big of a fuss so I'll probably get in trouble for saying something.

Gotta go! Happy weekend.

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

21 comments

Trisha said...

How interesting that the bird fabric has been redone. I hope you have a great day!

Jennifer said...

I was about to say that that fabric looks like a new line that I just saw! That is so funny that it was duplicated. I love your Christmas fabrics; I don't have near that size of a stash for Christmas so I'm thinking it's time to add some fabric... shhh don't tell my husband!

Jennifer :)

Jan said...

Ohhhh, I love the fact that you have fabric to match your beloved Feed Stack pieces! They are both remarkable!!! Enjoy your time w/Lori ... you gals stay out of trouble ... or perhaps, have fun and get in lots of trouble (LOL).

Dresden Quilter said...

You always have the most amazing fabric! The feed sack birds are sweet. For your Christmas fabric, do you know who made the one that is in the top left corner of the picture? The one with presents and Christmas trees in circles?

Momoo said...

I think my Chrismas stash is bigger than yours, sadly I won't make as good a use of it like you will.
Enjoy the weekend and your time with Allison.

Joanna said...

I like your feedsack better too! The birds really are lovely:) Can't wait to see what you create from all your Christmas fabrics! Wasn't it the houses about this time last year?!!

happy zombie said...

I want to rummage through your Christmas stash, but my darn monitor keeps stopping me!

Lucky you and Lori having lunch together! Have a great lunch and happy weekend! xoxom

strawberrycream39 said...

I was thinking I had seen that fabric before!! The bird fabric is definitely the cutest in that line. The original is a bit sweeter though. :-)
P.S. I hope you don't mind, I added your blog to my blog roll. <3

Joy said...

Oh your birdies are adorable Nanette!!! I'm with you, the first three in the new range are gorgeous - I also like the one on the far right.
I've done very little Chrissy stitching so far ... I really should get started!!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Susan said...

Definitely the original is the best. Funny how we end up with fabrics we really don't like; I've got some.

Unknown said...

Nanette, that is just amazing how the feedsack and the Andover fabric really match. It is nice to have some companion fabric to your feedsack though. I hope you had a wonderful lunch.

Thimbleanna said...

LOVE that adorable little birdie fabric! Hope you had a great time with Lori and Happy Birthday to Laura!

Rae Ann said...

Nanette, you make fabric look so fun! I am afraid if I didn't quilt, that I would want to after seeing all the great fabrics on your "Fabric Friday". I love the bird fabric and alot of the others from the Andover collection.

*lini* said...

wonderful! i love the bird fabric!
nice blog!

much greeting from *lini*

Nedra said...

I'm sure you had such a fun time with Lori yesterday. I want to hear all about it. And little birdie fabrics just call to me right now. There are a lot of them coming onthe market. I'm trying to not spend $$ right now, so I've been good and just viewed them on the shelf. Love your choices.

Live Well With Judi said...

When I see your bin of Christmas fabric pulled out I remember that it seems like just last month you were making a list of fun ideas to make for Christmas gifts. And I remember thinking to myself that this year I was going to be ahead of the game and really work on something every month so that there wasn't the rush and pressure and etc. getting ready for the holidays. Does anyone know where my resolve went...and if not that, how about where the time went?!! Love your birdie fabric, and enjoy that Grandbaby today. Hugs.

Dawn said...

I love the birdie fabric! It's so fun. Have fun with Lori and your grandbaby.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Hi just checking in and you know I just love your blog, are you getting anymore of your teapot patterns in? Just love that quilt! Great job and love all your fabrics (especially chistmas!!) Hugs, Mary

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Gee, "let's all sing like the birdies sing" is running through my head. Wonder why? :-) I like the original feedsack way better. And you are right about some of the companion fabrics. Seem kind of "off" to me. I would love to dig into your Christmas stash as it looks like you have a number of different fabrics from those in my stash. :-)

Barbara said...

I know exactly what you mean about your mixed feelings - it's almost like the original is diminished just a little bit because it isn't as rare and special. On the other hand - I adore that fabric and don't mind at all the opportunity to actually get some!

Carrie P. said...

that is amazing about the fabric. I don't know if I would like it copies either.