Christmas Cottage Block Exchange

47 comments
Yes it's a busy time of year and yes there are lots of exchanges/swaps going on. But still I thought it might be fun to exchange Christmas themed cottage blocks. The idea is still formulating and T at Purple and Paisley has offered to help me with this. Thank you T.

Christmas is still a harsh word before Halloween, I know. However, planning in advance is a essential to a home made Christmas.

The size of the exchange depends on how many sign up and how we decide move forward with this. My idea is for each member of the exchange to make a number of the same (or mostly similar) Christmas Cottage blocks. We may end up making groups for this. Then we all send a block in an envelope to each of the exchangers on your list. I can e-mail everyone so we all have email addresses for the members and you can contact them to find out addresses.

I'd like the exchange to be open to everyone - blog or no blog and international. I think it would be really great to receive blocks from all over and it would make some fun memories. So anyone can sign up. Just email me and let me know you want to participate by Monday, September 22.

I also think it would be fun for each of us to personalize our blocks with initials, blog name, or some identifying sign so we can remember where each block came from. However, that is optional.

If you want to participate - great! But no pressure. This should be a fun project. There are lots of ways you could use the blocks, not just for a quilt. You can grab the button above that T from Purple and Paisley made for us if you want to advertise on your blog. But remember you don't have to have a blog to join in the fun.

I'm thinking the blocks should be mailed by October 31, 2008 to all the participants to allow enough time to make something with them before Christmas. So keep that time frame in mind before making a commitment. I know Quilt Market is looming but not all of us will be there so its something fun for those like me that stay home (at least for this year). But these blocks are so simple that anyone can make them in a short time. And hey- its a great way to use up Christmas fabric. Speaking of which, you don't have to use traditional Christmas fabric. Anything goes but it should have something about the cottage that says December.

Email me with questions and I'll post answers and try to think of things I've missed. I am excited even if just a few of us exchange. I've "met" so many great people and I think this is a great way to solidify good memories and distant friendships.

TLC Stitches told me the best way to do this - Thanks Trisha. If everyone sends their blocks to me with a self addressed stamped oversized envelope, then it would save on postage and time rather than having you send them to everyone in the exchange. Any other ideas are more than welcome! Again thanks Trisha.

-nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

47 comments

jlk said...

How long do we have to decide? Right now, I would love to do this, but I need to give it some thought if I even have enough time!

Sherri said...

I'm interested! I was just thinking if there are enough who sign up, perhaps we could be divided into groups according to color scheme used...(some people use red/green/gold, while others use reds and blues etc.)I like the idea of the self-addressed oversized envelope as well!

flora said...

Love it. No blog, but count me in!

quilterpolly said...

count me in:) I want to...what info do you need from me?
Polly

Karen said...

I don't need to think this one over...I'm in;) How about a Cottage BOM??? I also like the oversized envelope idea...a little less work for you. If you need more help...let me know;)...Love the "Button"...T is soooo creative.

Anonymous said...

O.K. - you know your not a quilter when you don't understand what you just read and looking at it as a prospective craft project starts to give you a stabbing, aching feeling behind your left eye! ha-ha! I don't think I'll be participating in this...but for those of you who do...Have fun! :)

Nan said...

Oh... I'll be following the out come of this project, but I just don't dare sign up, tempting as it may be. It's a great idea and I don't think it's too early, it's a big project and things like that need time to do it right!

Candace said...

Oh, Nanette this sounds like a lot of fun. I am just setting up my blog so it would be a great way to kick it off! My only question is how many blocks (appx) would we each be making? Thanks so much! Candace

rachel griffith said...

like i said yesterday...count me in.
{i'll email you my info.}

SUPER duper excited!!!
:D

Rebecca said...

i'm interested, but wonder how many you guesstimate each participant would be responsible for? would there be a cap? i'd love to do it, but am 7 mos. pregnant and don't want to over commit myself.

Caesar Beezer The Wonder Dog said...

Yes. Definitely. I want in! This is just the motivation I need to get a house quilt finished! Thanks Nanette! From - the Other Nanette!

Lily Boot said...

Ooooh Nanette - you've made my morning! Since Rachel's cupcake swap, I've been moseying around blocks hoping to see another swap coming up! I'd LOVE to take part! :-) Thankyou!!!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

You know I am ready to go.......I can see my pile of Christmas fabrics right now and I can make your deadline so count me in!

Messy Karen said...

i luv this block & couldn't possibly watch everyone else have fun without me. i'm in.

Kim Walus said...

Sign me up I'm ready to go! I have over 150-200 christmas fabrics I've collected over MANY years and this will be a great way to use some of them. I'm hoping that the number of blocks are doable meaning that I'm not sure if I could make 50 blocks but 25 would be okay. Let me know how many?

I love the idea and I'm ready to start cutting this very minute. I assume the instructions you gave yesterday will remain the same. While I wait for details I'm headed downstairs to start looking through my *stacks* of christmas fabric!

*smiles ashamedly*

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! I'm in for sure. This sounds so fun. These are going to be some very special quilts. I can't wait to get started! x

Happy Zombie said...

Oh this sounds like so much fun. I'm this close [___] to signing up. I want to, I want to! Why do I have to be so busy! I'll let you know by the 22nd If I can do it. If you don't hear from me, then can't. And you'll be hearing me crying.

Cathi said...

Oooh, Nanette -- I wish, but I've gone overboard with swaps as it is! I hope you'll do this again!

Cheryl said...

Pleasse count me in. I can't resist this one :-)!!

Jodi Nelson said...

Oh my! The most adorable pattern and what a fun exchange this will be. I "think" I'm in. I think I would want to know about how many blocks I'd be makin. The color thing that Sherri suggested I kinda like too. ooxx`jod

Mel said...

Oh boy! I know my plate is full, but I HAVE to get in on this one! Have you figured out how many cottages in a set? Is there a requirement for quilt shop only fabric? (I hope!) Am I correct to assume that we will all be using your cottage pattern? Thanks! Can't wait to start!!

becsta said...

I'd love to participate, but before I sign up, I'd really need to know what I'm committing to - so, how many blocks? I love the idea of being divided into similar-colour groups. Also, the stamped, self-addressed envelope sounds easy, but I don't think it will work for international participants - I'm from Australia - any other options for postage, or does this just really complicate things?

Anyway, this sounds like such a fun swap.... I'm hoping it works out for me, but otherwise I'll be watching the outcome! Thanks!

Ruthie said...

I would love to join this swap. Those houses are just too cute.

Where in the world is Jefferson City, Missouri said...

I'd love to join in the fun let me know when and where.....

Kathi Thompson said...

Let me know when and how many, etc. Sounds like fun.

em's scrapbag said...

Put me in the mix. Sounds like tons of fun.

Annette said...

This looks like fun. Count me in. Do I need to email you or anything? Thanks for hosting this for us, a big job. Let me know if I can do anything.

CJ said...

This sounds pretty fun! I can't wait to see what you all do with the blocks. There is NO WAY I can commit to something like this with my TO DO list looming as well as a MOVE! Have fun ladies. :D

Carrie P. said...

I would like to be included in the cottage block exchange. I am sending a separate email to you.

Joanna said...

Nanette, I'm slammed right now with stuff to do so I won't join in, BUT you should do another one maybe in the Spring with cottage-y type fabrics like someone else suggested, and I'll sign up then!! But I know I'll see the Christmas ones and really regret not doing it lol!!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I would love to join, if I am not to late. Will you be giving a pattern for us to follow? jane

Shaunab said...

Sign me up.

Thanks

Busy Little Quilter said...

I would love to join, Nanette! The blocks are adorable! I have tons of Christmas fabric.

Just let me know what I need to do.

Thanks.

Amanda

Lily Boot said...

Dear Nanette, could I add two more people to the swap - my dearest friend Carolann and aunt Cate - they are both very keen and love patchwork but don't have blogs. :-)

Pam Marshall said...

I'm interested.What pattern will we all use? Are is it up to us?
Pam

Deborah said...

I'd like to join. Is there a pattern or block size?
Thanks!

quiltingnana said...

sounds interesting. I'd like to participate. Let me know of the details

Dawn Brown said...

I'm in and can't wait - leaving another message as i didn't see my first one. This is going to be so much fun - christmas in November :)
Dawn

Nanette Merrill said...

Dawn- I need your email address. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind comments about my children. Yes, I would definitely like to join in. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Teresa

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Oh I would love to play! I hope I am not too late. How many blocks would we swap? Thanks, Hugs, Mary

Lindsey said...

Any chance you'll open up more spots for the Christmas Cottage Block Exchange. I'd really like to do it. I promise to have something fab!

Unknown said...

Just read about the Christmas Cottage Block Exchange and if there is still time would love to join.

Raedene said...

Sign me up.

Deb C. said...

Rats. I just re-found your blog. I'm a week late but would be very interested if you're still accepting.

thehummingcat said...

ohhh, am I too late? any room at the Inn? Please???

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! I've found this way too late to participate, but I look forward to seeing all the blocks on your blog and seeing what people do with them. This is such a lovely lovely idea - so many cosy christmassy cottages!