37 comments

I did get some sewing done this weekend but it was not the main focus of my weekend. I have about 5 different houses I've been making but this one above is the "cottage" and it is probably my favorite. My plan is to incorporate them all into a village. But the house above is extremely easy and fun to do. I'm going to post a tutorial for it later in the week so if you are interested, please check back. The "cottage" on the far left is a Christmas Cottage. And I'll talk about that more when I post the tutorial.

So the bounties of our garden are still pushing themselves into my "free time", not that I'm complaining. The family picked pears this weekend in our garden orchard. Some of these are D'Angou and some are Bartlett. I have never been able to do much with the D'Angou. So if anyone has ideas for those let me know. Since they don't turn yellow, I usually wait too long and then by the time I realize they have ripened, they are icky and mealy.

Laura brought cupcakes over this weekend. They were amazing. She used Nutella as a base for the frosting. It tasted like really good fudge.

We picked more tomatoes and made more fresh salsa. I still don't have enough ripe tomatoes to bottle salsa yet. After making our own salsa for years I can't stand grocery store salsa. I thought I'd share my recipe for salsa. We try to make and bottle enough to give out at Christmas to friends and get us through the year. I will say that often we just use what is ripe in the garden that day as far as peppers goes in the recipe. We have used lots of varieties of peppers and made substitutions with what is available and it's good every time.

Nanette's Salsa

2 quarts tomatoes with skin off and chopped

1 onion chopped

1 green pepper chopped

2 jalapenos chopped

1 can green chillies (optional)

2 hot peppers or red chillies, chopped

1 T salt

1/2 tsp. cumin

Edit - Depending on the acidity of my tomatoes - I add 1-2 T lime or lemon if I am bottling the salsa

So when Laura brought over the cupcakes, she brought me a bit of chili she had made with the fresh salsa I had given her last weekend. It was AMAZING! and so delicious. So then I had to make chili Sunday for dinner. I am thinking she may tell how she went from salsa to chili on her blog this week.

If you don't know, Laura is my neighbor and a fabulous chef/cook. She has taught me so much over the years about cooking and what makes food special.

In the photo above next to the chili is bread that I regularly make from Laura's recipe. Our friend Flora suggested I share Laura's recipe for bread with you. Its hers by way of Marilyn, a friend of Laura's. It is by far the best homemade bread I have ever tasted, let alone made. I do buy high gluten white flour to make it and that really makes it special. I've used Costco bread flour, too but Lehi Roller Mills (a local supplier) makes the best high gluten flour. I also make the bread with part wheat flour and part white flour from time to time, too. I usually add a little more honey when I use wheat flour.

Laura's Bread

3/4 cup oil

3/4 cup powdered milk

1+ cup honey (I usually add a bit more)

2 T salt

5 cups hot water - but not too hot

3 T yeast

12+ cups flour

Add powdered milk, oil, honey, salt, hot water to your Kitchen Aid or Bosch mixer and gradually add in 6 cups of the flour. Then add the yeast - just put it in, no proofing. I know this sounds odd compared to lots of recipes but it works and the bread does not taste a bit yeasty. Then add the rest of the flour. Often I have to add more than 12 cups of flour depending on the day and humidity. You've got enough flour when the dough pulls away from the sides of bowl and you can see a little of the bottom of the mixer bowl. I let that churn in the mixer for 10 minutes. I usually do something else in the kitchen while the mixer runs. After that let the dough sit in the mixer (turned off) for 20-30+ minutes. Spray your bread pans liberally with Pam. And divide the dough into 5 loaf pans. I turn my oven on let it just heat up to maybe 140-150 degrees. Then I turn off the oven and put the loaf pans into the oven. I set the timer for 30 minutes, sometimes I go as long as 40 minutes depending on weather. Then with the bread still in the oven I turn the oven to 325 convection bake and set my timer for 30 minutes. Ovens vary so I can only tell you what I do. Then when the timer beeps, I take it out and put the bread on a rack to cool. Usually I have enough to take a loaf or 2 to a friend or my in-laws, but sometimes not depending on who is home. After it cools I sometimes put a loaf in a zip lock bag and into the fridge and that makes it last an extra day. This bread is best fresh and I usually won't eat it "day old".

I found out last night that on Sunday my 13 year old son was asked to give a scripture in front of most all the men in our church. This is the scripture he gave. Proverbs 21:19. Keep in mind my son has 7 sisters and me, of course. After he gave the scripture he said "Be careful who you marry". I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry! In my defense I will say a friend of his helped him pick the scripture.

19 It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contencious and an angry woman.

-nanette

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

37 comments

Susan said...

Am I the first to comment? First, your son is precious; how old is he? I know a Wilderness College in upper Wisconsin where you could send him when the time comes. LOL! Last, those cottage blocks are the most adorable I've seen.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a crop! Thanks for the yummy recipes. Would Laura be willing to share her cupcake recipe too? they look delicious. How funny of your son...my son is the same age and probably would have done the same. I love your cottage blocks and will be looking forward to the tutorial.

flora said...

Mason is a hoot! That is great. I am glad you have it written down for the future. Dear boy.
And the houses! Love house quilts anyway. You continue to amaze me with your energy and talent. Your blog is a true treasure and enriches my days.

Jill said...

Oh, Nanette,I love it!!! Definitely laugh-this is one for the family history to be retold & laughed about through the years & especially on his owm wedding day!!I really love your cottage block with people in the doorway-you are so cute & clever!! God bless your day!!

Nedra said...

Don't you just love teenage boys? They sure keep us laughing with their approach to Religion!

Sandra :) said...

I wish I lived next door to you :)

Trisha said...

Your son is too funny! I bet everyone at church got a kick out of that one. Your houses are so cute, I can't wait for the tutorial!

CJ said...

What a colorful post! The houses are so cute and look at that dear little girl in the Christmas cottage!! I can't wait for the tutorial. Pears...I just eat em. Other than that I would probably can them for use later on. The salsa looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I do not care for store bought salsa either but I usually get mine from the local Mexican restaurant.
Too cute on the scripture reading - but oh so true!

erica e said...

what cute little cottages! i have loved seeing all the fresh produce on your blog lately! those pears are so pretty. and i think i'll have to try to make laura's bread. homemade bread is better than anything. i think i'd take homemade bread over homemade cookies anyday.

Elizabeth said...

Ok I'm going to try your salsa recipe. Like I said before I cannot make salsa. I love to cook and bake, but I cannot do salsa. Maybe today is the day!

A few years ago another girl (Erica, from Polka Dot Quilts) and I did a neighborhood quilt block swap. We made houses similar to yours. Each of the neighbors that wanted to participate made one to keep and 25 or so to exchange. Now we have our own neighborhood quilt!

Sherri said...

Thanks so much for the recipes...and I can't wait for the tutorial on the darling cottage blocks! Also loved the story about your son and the scripture he quoted...precious!

quilterpolly said...

I love your cottage blocks...they are awesome is an understatement. Thanks for sharing the great recipes and you are so nice. Your blog from the previous day was so nice...I do believe that it is are personality that attracts people so that should tell you how blessed you are:)
Have a great day and thanks for sharing!!!
Polly

Purple and Paisley said...

your son is hilarious...bless his heart...can't wait for the house block tute...i love yours!

Purple and Paisley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby and Stephanie said...

Your blog post is quite delicious today. Can't wait for your cottage tutorial. Those are so cute.

Joanna said...

Oh Nanette, I am literally LOL here at your son! Sooooo funny! I can just see the men in church and this kid reading that scripture. Would have woken them all up at least lol!!! And then his comment about be careful who you marry - priceless!!!

Kritta22 said...

That is my husband's favorite scripture and uses it often! LOL I love it!
I love your cottage blocks. Now I have to go look at all my fabric with a different eye!

Karen said...

I love the cottages! Looks like you've been doing some fussy cutting. Looking forward to the tutorial. All of the food info is really making me hungry...hummm...maybe that's because it's time for lunch;) Thank your son for the laugh...Happy Monday

Ginger Patches said...

I love those cottage blocks!! I have used Salsa in Chili before too :) it's all the same ingredients so it's quicker if you have fresh salsa on hand to just use that. That bread looks so yummy...I can't wait for the weather here to turn cooler so I can do some baking and fall cooking! That is a great story about your son and that scripture lol.

em's scrapbag said...

Your son's scripture is too funny. My boys would love it. Have you ever tried drying your pears. My kids eat them like candy when I do that.

Cathi said...

Those cottage/house blocks are fabulous. I'll be watching for the tutorial.
All that wonderful fresh food -- those pears look absolutely glorious. I think I'd just eat 'em or maybe make a big fruit salad.

Nan said...

Oh my gosh, everything looks so good! I love the quilt blocks, and the recipes and everything, can I come live with you so you can teach me some of your magic? You amaze me. I just read Sandra's comment wanting to live next door to you so I thought I'd do one better and just move in!

ayumills said...

Your blog is always full of interesting ideas! You always inspire me to be creative! I definitely have to try your salsa recipe. I never knew how fresh salsa tastes like until I picked it up at a local farmer's market. It was amazing, but I didn't know how to make it. Yours look so yummy and easy to make..
Can't wait to try!

Sue said...

love he cottage sewing---christmas is my favorite--can't wait for the how to.

Sue

Anonymous said...

You are so sweet! Thank you for your kind comments on my post today. I just kinda threw myself out there didn't I! I love salsa, especially homemade and hey it's not fattening, we can eat all we want. It's the chips we have to limit. Those cupcakes look yummy, see I told ya, I love food!

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh Yum! Thanks for the wonderful recipes. I used to make homemade salsa (and I agree -- homemade is MUCH better than store-bought) but one year it got white spores in it and scared me, so I've been afraid to make it since then!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I have been eyeing different house blocks lately and am itching to make a house quilt. Your cottage blocks are precious! And I looooove the Christmas window with the little girl and her candle. And thank you also for the recipes! x

Karen said...

I agree. Once you have had homemade salsa, you will never eat store bought again. My sister just made her first batch of the season. Yummy!

Emily said...

Mason cracks me up! You're salsa looks to die for and I'm partial to the bread too. The heel is my favorite!

Mimi Sue said...

Your salsa looks fabulous and I'm going to try that bread this week. I love to bake! Your son is hilarious. I'm going to tell our only son (he only has 3 sisters) what his favorite scripture should be...Mimi

Billie said...

Whoa, you're killing me with the food! Thanks for the recipes. I'm looking forward to your cottage tutorial. I enjoy your posts.

Oiyi said...

OMG!! I love the house blocks!

Caesar Beezer The Wonder Dog said...

The salsa recipe sounds amazing and so does the bread! I'm going to make them both very soon! I can't wait to see the tutorial on the house blocks - I love them - and I've always wanted a house quilt so maybe I'll get to it! The Other Nanette

Bonnie M said...

Nanette- I used to absolutely love my mother's PEAR HONEY, which she made from pears in our orchard. Ordinarily she would use Flemish Beauty pears, which don't make a nice bottle pear - but once in a while she would use Bartlett. Either way, the results were wonderful. It's more like a syrup than a jam - and is delicious on pancakes and waffles. I think I might be able to round up the recipe if you are interested. See you in a couple of weeks at Alpine. Bonnie Miles

Amanda Jean said...

I am laughing at your son's verse choice. :) sounds like something my brothers would have said growing up.

I'm looking forward to your house tutorial. I have had houses on the brain for weeks.

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

I am just cracking up at your story about your son and his scripture! Hope he doesn't marry some contenscious woman and have to run to the wilderness!! ROFL!!

Nan said...

Once again, my mouth is watering! Cupcakes, salsa and bread!! Let's eat!! Thank you for all the wonderful recipes.....I need to get busy in the kitchen now.
Love the story of your son and the scripture. Too funny!